tach inoperative

Previous topic - Next topic

clifford Rieders

My tach is not working. Whats the order or protocol of what to check? Thanks

Ron Hill

Cliff : You tac get it's signal from the alternator. 
Could be the tach instrument, connection at the tach, wire in-between or the connection at the alternator!?!  I'd start with the connections especially at the tach and then the wire in-between. 
Numerous posts on this topic.    :!:
Ron, Apache #788

clifford Rieders

I will check that. thanks. I have heard some inconsistant info about whether tach will record when batteries are fully charged. One person said tach should always operate and another said, not when the batts are fully charged. PS Is there still a seperate c34 chat group?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: clifford Rieders on June 02, 2006, 07:24:52 PM
PS Is there still a separate C34 chat group?

This is IT.  Nowhere else to go, and no need to...

If your alternator is NOT needing to work to fill the batteries, your tach will most likely read zilch, UNLESS you have a new smart regulator which will automatically induce a load to keep the tach working.

If you have an OEM alternator, it could well zero out.  Turn on a light or two or your fridge, if you have one, and the tach will come back.

As Ron said, discussed before, but, then again, what hasn't? :party
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

clifford Rieders

Ill give that a try if it ever stops rainging !!!  Thanks for the assistance. Cliff

Ron Hill

Cliff : With a stock alternator (w/built in Voltage regulator), the charging is usually so low that the alternator is always charging. 
In the case of an external 3 stage regulator(& hi output alternator), when the batteries are full the needle will bounce around.  To steady the needle you just need to turn on something that causes a current draw like the blower, and the needle will calm down.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

clifford Rieders

and I do have a high output alt, new glass matt batteries, a regulator and a couple of small solar panals....so perhaps thats it. I will check it out again now that the weather is bad. Thanks again. Cliff

clifford Rieders

Thanks for the help. When I put some laod on the system, the high output alt kicked in and the guage went right up. Interestingly the fellow who did my electric upgrade and installed that alt said the tach should always be registering. Make me worry about him !!   Cliff c34, 1022

Stu Jackson

Cliff

And so you should.  With your hull number, you'll find that reading the FAQs and Projects at www.c34.org will go a LONG way to answering most of your questions.  Please feel free to avail yourself of those resources.

Some of the newer regulators have a feature called "tach creep" which will place a load on your alternator if the regulator senses that the batteries are completely charged.  The purpose is to provide a small alternator output to keep the tach working.  Others, as Ron said, will just bounce the tach around.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."