engine temp guage / fuel guage

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Mike : The problems of the affluent!!
I thought the whole idea of a propane powered Honda was to eliminate the associated CO emissions?   :?
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Smith

Hi! My name is Mike and I'm a Dumass... Figured out the problem - it's ME!

I guess it's because of my association with Naval aviation training.  In a cockpit display (at least in helicopters), all properly functioning analog instrument guage indicators point straight up.  If everything is OK, the all the needles are pointing straight up.  This simplifies the pilot's instrument scan.  If an instrument indicator is not pointing straight up, then something is wrong with the component that instrument is sensing.

On my old instrument panel, installed in '98, the temperature guage indicator always pointed straight up after warm-up.  Since it always pointed straight up, I assumed (correctly) that the engine temp was OK.  On the ocassion when I blew an impeller, the temp guage indicator went over to the right, indicating an engine overtemp situation.  I never really knew (or cared) what the actual engine temperature was.

So, when I had my new instrument panel installed and I started the engine, the temperaure guage indicator moved beyond straight up, over to the right.  I thought (incorrectly) that I had an engine overtemp situation.  I read the guage (correctly) at about 190 degrees.  Straight up on the new instrument is 160 degrees.  So, I assumed that the engine was running 30 degrees too hot.

On Breezer today, I took out the old instrument panel and looked at the face of the temp guage.  Straight up was between 175 and 210 degrees - actually 192.5 degrees, not 160 degrees!

So, I've just had my paradigm busted.  My engine is running properly at 190 degrees, and always has, not 160 degrees. My world is no longer straight up. But, all is well.

I'm going to have a martini.

Mike

Mike Smith

You are right, Ron! 

However, propane minimizes, but does not completely eliminate, CO emmissions. But a generator (even the quiet Honda 2000) disturbs the peaceful tranquility of the remote anchorage.  With battery power, my neighbors have peace and quiet and I have no C0 to worry about.

Mike

PS Now I just have to get Jim Moe to help me with the wiring schematics!

Ron Hill

Mike : From the number of batteries you'll have onboard, you'll rival an old diesel electric submarine!!

BTW, make a take off after a mechanic installed a fuel flow meter that "0" was at the top of the gage rather than at the bottom!!  At first glance you really "suck wind" - as you're rolling down the runway!!  :!:
Ron, Apache #788

Tom Lanzilli

My temp guage reads about 175, not quite 180.  From reading this thread should I conclude the engine is running to hot?  I have an M35-B
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT