Sherwood vs. Oberdorfer

Previous topic - Next topic

tandm

I notice a drip of sea water on the bottom endgiin bolt securing the Sherwood sea water pump last weekend. Decided to call the local marine engine shop and they informed me that I need to rebuild the pump at about one half the cost of a new one. I am about to take them up on the offer since I am not sure I can press on the shaft bushings. What I do have is a Oberdorfer pump as a spare ( thanks to the PO.) I don't known the Oberdorfer's history but based on inspection my best guess is rebuilt but never used.  This leads to two questions. First, is the Sherwood rebuild price reasonable?  Second, are there any factors that favor the Oberdorfer over Sherwood or vice versa?

td

captran

What's the price quoted?  I just replaced the Sherwood which had started leaking on my cruise to the Exumas with a new Obendorfer.  I'd only paid 126. for the Obendorfer.  Personally I like the Obendorfer for the ease of checking the impellor, as you don't have to remove the entire pump, just the 4 face plate screws.  If I were in open water, the impellor could be changed much more quickly than with the Sherwood.  And changing the pump was easier than I expected, which for non mechanical me, was a relief.  I corresponded with another C34 owner a while back who did the exchange as well.  On Voyager all I needed was a few inexpensive couplings to connect the Obendorfer to the existing nipple on the ends of the hose which I got at home depot before we left.

Stu Jackson

td

I replaced our Oberdorfer in November 1999.  My records show the price at $285, but that included hoses, clamps, seals and gaskets.  Of course, a search on the MB will find the DEPCO source that Ron Hill mentions and is a $ saver.

The price quoted to rebuild the old pump was also about half, say $100 +, so I bought the new one, and have yet to rebuild the old one.  I had the same "how to knock the old bearings off" question, which is answered quite well in Calder's Boatowners' Manual.  Just haven't gotten to it, yet.

The access to the Sherwood I've heard is incredibly difficult.  The Oberdorfer is a snap, because as Randy mentioned, the access is from four screws in the FRONT.  Gee, what a supreme idea.

Many years ago there was a long discussion on Sherwood vs. Oberdorfer on the old list.  My recollection is that it turned out that a pump was a pump and that the access was the key issue.

Even a rebuilt Oberdorfer, especially one that you have in hand, should work.  Why not give it a try?

When I replaced the old pump, it took two days of liquid wrench to loosen the old bolts going into the engine.  I installed nylock nuts on the new pump.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

karista

T.D.
I just had DEPCO rebuild my Sherwood Pump the cost was approx. $100. The problem they had was finding a new shaft. Mine was scored and Sherwood no longer stocks the shaft. I found a shaft (by making numerous calls) and supplied it to DEPCO. If you are planning to rebuild the pump, you should investigate the availability of the shaft which will probably be needed. I would not attempt to rebuild this pump w/o a benchpress!
Bernd Mueller

tandm

Thanx all for the information.  We had a wonderfully sailing day on Puget Sound yesterday. Winds 15 to 20, temperatures in the 70s and not a cloud in the sky.  A good day to check out the rebuilt Oberdorfer pump I installed on the boat Friday night. The pump worked just fine. The engine temperature held at it's usual 162 degrees during a one hour test. (Still managed to get in a good day of sailing too. :)) I think I will deep six the Sherwood, put a new Oberdorfer on the boat and keep the rebuilt Oberdorfer as a spare. Its cheaper than rebuilding the Sherwood.

td

Stu Jackson

TD

Glad to hear it worked.  What was the story with the studs between the two types of pumps that Ron asked about?

If the rebuilt Oberdorfer is already in, why not just keep the new one as a spare?

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

tandm

The pump bolted on with no stud related problems. The whole process took less than ten minutes.  I want to use the new pump because I know it's history. The rebuilt was a gift of the previous owner.  I don't think he even remember it was on the boat.  It's not a big concern and I may just leave well enough alone.

td

salsailor

I know this is an old thread, but just want to update on the water pump price. I just ordered the oberdorfer pump from depco, it's $170. I don't know if it's inflation or the raw materials gets expensive. I asked another source, it will cost $190.

BTW, I just bought a 1987 model and this is my first project. Wish me luck.

Lee

Ron Hill

Guys :This has been posted a number of times:
1.  The Sherwood is supposed to pump more water than the Oberdoffer.  Don't know how much is "more"? 
2.  On my M25XP the Oberdoffer keeps the temp at about 160F.
3.  You can buy a discounted pump and/or parts for an Oberdoffer from DEPCO (800)445-1656.
4.  Sherwood will not allow anyone to discount their pumps or parts!!
5.  All parts and attachments on/for an Oberdoffer are brass, bronze or stainless - not so with the Sherwood
6.  The Oberdoffer is easy to rebuild (see the Mainsheet tech notes on the "how to do it").

:clap
Ron, Apache #788

Tom Glennon

FYI:  I had my SHerwood rebuilt at a local marine shop, and I obtained a new shaft, graphite bearing and ONE seal from DEPCO (located in Clearwater FL)   You may want to fo to a local automotive bearing company, check with their parts department for the TWO seals required for the rebuilding.

The DEPCO seal cost something like $17, whereas the local bearing shop charged me $5.25.

Happy sailing from Buzzards Bay!
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

salsailor

Quote from: Ron Hill on July 20, 2006, 06:01:06 PM
Guys :This has been posted a number of times:
1.  The Sherwood is supposed to pump more water than the Oberdoffer.  Don't know how much is "more"? 
2.  On my M25XP the Oberdoffer keeps the temp at about 160F.
3.  You can buy a discounted pump and/or parts for an Oberdoffer from DEPCO (800)445-1656.
4.  Sherwood will not allow anyone to discount their pumps or parts!!
5.  All parts and attachments on/for an Oberdoffer are brass, bronze or stainless - not so with the Sherwood
6.  The Oberdoffer is easy to rebuild (see the Mainsheet tech notes on the "how to do it").

:clap

Yes I did order it from DEPCO, the model is N202M-15. I think it's the new model replaced 202M-15 (maybe that's why the price is a bit higher).  They replace the gasket with O-rings, so make sure oder a couple those with the spare impeller. Mine just arrived today, they sent me the old gaskets instead of the O rings.