manual bilge pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Glennon

Greeting from Buzzards Bay!

Has anyone experienced this problem:  My manual bilge pump, located in the cockpit on my 1987 does not/did not "suck" when I stroked the handle.  Usually the is the initial quick strokes that seems to get the flow going, then more rhythmic full strokes until the bilge is empty.  

I checked the obvious to see if there was any cracks in the rubber, it didn't apear to be compromised.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.... I don't like to have to rely on the electric pump alone!

Happy & safe sailing!
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Norris Johnson

If your pump is in good shape, it could be you have air ingress somewhere in your suction line coming from your bilge. These things are fairly simple. The rubber diaphram is usually the first thing to go and most of the time, it is from dry rot from lack of use. Sounds like you've been using yours.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Marshall Tonner

I had a similar problem a while back and discovered some debris holding the valve inside the pump open.
Holland Marsh    Hull #899   Cormarant II

Tom Glennon

Thank you for the tips.... I'll disassemble this weekend to check for the debris... then I'll fabricate the cover, as Ron suggests.

Happy sailing!!
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Mike Denest

I know this is an old post but does anyone have a picture available of the manual pump?  The hose from the bilge is there and runs up to the garden hose connection in the cockpit but I'll be damned if I can find the pump! :donno:  The handle is there but no pump!!! What the ........??? :nail
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Ron Hill

Tom : If you don't have a fracture in the diaphragm then you need to check for junk in the pickup hose. 
I took some nylon screen and covered the end of the manual pickup hose securing it with a wire tie.  The wire tie is screwed down to the bilge floor to keep it in place.   :wink: 
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Denest

Ron,
I think you replied to an old post on junk in the manual bilge pump.  I'm looking for information on this pump which I think is missing from my boat.  Any suggestions? 
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

windrunr

I have a Whale Gusher manual bilge pump on my boat but I am not sure what model was installed. The manufacturer is still in business and the pumps can be located at http://www.whale.ltd.uk/marine/product_list/7/ .

Standard Rig, Standard Keel