Waste Tank Fittings

Previous topic - Next topic

Footloose

The boating regulations on Lake Champlain require that I remove/discontect my mascerator as there are to be no means of overboard discharge of the holding tank.  My plan is to put a plug in the fitting on the tank and remove the mascerator.  I will put it in storage for the next owner if that day comes.  Does anyone know what the thread size is so the I can have the proper plug on hand when I start?   
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Ted Pounds

I did the same thing, though it was so long ago I forget the size.  I used a PVC plug which is pretty cheap.  I would suggest buying a whole rage of sizes.  Then you'll have the right one and you can return the others.  Also, some residual "stuff" will spill out even if the tank has been pumped.  :shock:  So it's a good idea to have something to catch it.  I replaced my macerator pump with a washdown pump that I ran to an outlet in the anchor locker. 
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jeff Kaplan

ted, i replaced my tank last year and, if memory stands correct, all the fittings are 1 1/2" pipe. as last post stated, stuff will leak out, wear gloves and try and catch leakage...jeff kaplan
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

BillG

I just changed out my hoses this winter and although I didn't remove the fitting, Jeff is right that the hose between the tank and macerator is 1 1/2 inches.  I pumped out the tank and then filled and emptied it 4 or 5 times  with clean water at the end of the season.  It made the job  alot more pleasant.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Jim Price

Just have to add this thought.  I keep baby diapers on boat for spills, i.e., fuel filter, oil filter, food spills.  Get some large ones and place under your tank area.  They can conform to the shape and will do the job they were designed for, trapping waste.   :clap
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Jeff Kaplan

jim, excellent suggestion for ted and all others having to do that most unpleasant job, diapers, i wish i had thought of that when i undertook the job last year,what a mess...jeff

Footloose

Thanks for the good suggestions.  I was wondering what I was going to do with the thru hull and the washdown pump is a great idea.  One more thing on my list.  I changed out the hoses yesterday.  It is still cool up here so it wasn't terrible.  The marina owner saw what I was doing and said, "Be happy that it isn't 90 degrees out!"  The voice of experience I suspect.  Now I need to find some diapers.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Jeff Kaplan

dave, good luck on your diaper run. i live in ma. and travel thru vt. several times a year. maybe sometime during a summer trip we could meet up late afternoon or early evening and go out for a sail. i am an ocean sailor and would love to see what big pond sailing is all about. when i'm in burlington, i always go to the lake and watch the sailboats and wish i was on one. my e-mail address is listed, so if its ok, send me your phone # and i will give you a call when i'm in the area. going to start working on her tomorrow, rain, but the boat is still shrink wrapped. speak to you later...jeff