Leaking Lewmar Hatch

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

I have installed a hatch masters roll stop hing repair kit and it worked great. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

Good to hear.  :clap That is my project for the next week or so. That, and inspecting and rebedding a chainplate or two.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Noah : What I've found is that if you let the hatch set in between detents - that is what kills the "roll stop".  What I used to do was let the hatch latch handles arms close and let the hatch close and rest on the arms - but that was NOT a detent. That way that hatch was only open about an inch!!
Consequently it killed the 3 detent positions so it quit being a roll stop!!  Clear as mud??

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Thanks for the info Ron. My forward hatch "stops" have been dead since I bought the boat 8 years ago. I have been using a teak notched stick to hold it up. Over the years I have changed all of the glazing/portlights/etc. throughout the boat EXCEPT the forward hatch. When shopping for "parts" this month I was surprised Hatch Masters/Select Plastics had the long discontinued rollstop hinge parts. So, I bought them and a couple of new handles too. Will see how it goes. I am still hanging on to my prop-it-up stick just in case.
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Noah : Yes, hang on to your teak prop stick. Just make sure that your "notches" match the detents on the roll stop hinges!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Ha!  :abd: I have the "basic" prop-it-open-teak-stick model. Only one notch: Propped 45 degrees open or closed!
Standard Rig