Transom Cowl Vent

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoaster1358

I have a 1997, and I lost one of my back transom vents.  Where can I purchase another one?  Do they come in Chrome, mine was in white plastic.

Thanks

Stu Jackson

They come in chrome, but mine have faded to a patina finish, and the Admiral thinks they're just fine that way which is OK with me.  You don't want to know how hard I worked to keep 'em shiny.  You didn't say whether you have a Mk I or II boat.

Remember, Catalina is still in business.

West Marine carries everything under the sun, and will match Defender pricing.

Take a look underneath, there are, or should be hoses connected to the bottom for the blower
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

West : Call Catalina parts.  They my not have chrome for a MKII.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

SteveLyle

An enterprising dealer with a website:

Catalina Direct[/url]

Norris Johnson

I got my two chrome vents from West Marine. I think they were called "Clam Shell Vents". The plastics ones lasted about a year.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Tom Glennon

Stu:

The exhaust blower vents on my '87 had taken on a lovely "verde" finish  also. The Admiral was not impressed with the natural aging process, so I had mine re-chromed at a local refinisher ... 3 years now, and a little wax makes then twinkle for the whole season... makes the yacht even lovelier!   8)
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Susan Ray

Tom....How did you get the clam shell vents off? I have unscrewed the 3 holding it and have tried prying but something is holding it.....is there a trick to this? Thanks.Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Stu Jackson

Susan

Look underneath -- there are flexible hoses connected to them that run down below.  They are most likely connected to the bottom side of the vents and holding them down. (See my post above)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Susan : The factory also caulked the vents as well as the three screws.  You'll need to push them out from underneath (after you take the hose clamps and hose off).     :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Susan Ray

Thanks...If it ever stops raining here... I will get back in the stern lazerette, disconnect clamp and try pushing it out. They seem like much sturdier vents than what I bought...but not stainless thus the green patina.

Stu Jackson

OH, NO!!!, Susan -- You can't POSSIBLY have to back in there yet again! :shock:

Ron Hill

Susan: The vents that you have are chrome plated bronze/brass.  The plating is wearing off and they are showing the green corrosion.  Shine them up with polish and then put a coat of good wax on them. 
If you are really sensitive as to their their looks have them re chromed or remove them and apply a thin coat of West System on them.  Then before the West cures spray some silver paint on them.  I'd personally go for the re chrome. 
A few thoughts.   :wink: 
Ron, Apache #788

Susan Ray

Still raining here....but yes, back in the hot lazerette again when it ever quits. (It's still 75-80 degrees) Good thing is..only leak is the mast down the wires and someone on this forum is working on a fix for that.Thanks for the tips Ron but the vents are solid green, no chrome left.The EPA doesn't allow chroming places in Hawaii.I already bought some nice stainless ones anyway.Susan