M25XP Starting Battery

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Martinson

i think I may have posted this originally in the wrong place.....I am looking to buy a new starting battery - West Marine has them on sale but my manuals are on my boat which is 3 hours away...does anyone know what size staring barttery I need. My engine is a 1989 Universal M25XP...thanks
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945

Craig Illman

The specs for the M25-XPB state 190 CCA. My Link 20 displays 200A while cranking. So, I would expect any battery that could provide about 200 CCA would suffice, less any loss through the battery cabling. The cranking of my M25-XP improved dramatically when I upgraded the cabling to 1GA from the stock 4GA.

Craig

Ron Hill

Chris : The West Marine starting battery is a 665 MCA group 24.  It's the correct size for your engine, infact I just bought one yesterday.
I still use the factory 4 ga factory wire and have NEVER had a problem.  However, I have soldered and crimped ALL of my connections.  Wouldn't waste your money on 1 ga, if you want to upgrade do it to 2 ga or run a second 4 ga wire(parallel).  Solder and crimp is the best electrical connection.  My starting battery is in front of the starboard water tank!!   :wink: 
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

Ok, I should have used a few more words to qualify my situtation. The PO moved the start battery to under the sette ahead of the mast. Per Calder's charts I probably should have used something even bigger than 1ga. You can certainly buy a lot of battery for what marine grade battery cable costs. The factory cable had meager crimping on non-tinned wire, that was probably the largest difficiency. The cables I added were crimped and soldered following Ron's advice. I also added a breaker at the battery and bypassed the 1-2-ALL switch on the panel. I have an echo charger to charge the start battery from the house bank. I did a lot of upgrading of my whole 12V system this fall borrowing ideas from the website projects and forum. The important point is that the whole thing is a SYSTEM and you find a design that meets your goals and budget.

A group 24 is likely the best value. This thread could go on indefinitely if you opened up the discussion to the relative merits of flooded, AGM or Gel cells.  :D

- Craig

Stu Jackson

Craig

Battery discussion.  Rather than opening up any can of worms, and since we've been around sooo looong that we've already touched a lot of bases,  8) try this:

http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-battery-selection.html

Like you said, an electrical system needs to be thought of as just that a SYSTEM.  There are many ways to accomplish the same goals.

Same thing with batteries, it depends on your needs and $$s.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Chris Martinson

Thank you for the help and advice....I'll get the West Marine battery while it is on sale.
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945