Lost jib halyard

Previous topic - Next topic

David Baer

My jib halyard parted just above the shackle-shame on me for not being more observant.
I need some ideas on getting the new line down the mast.  I have access to to Top Climber and am comfortable up there-my biggest concern is how to avoid hanging it up in the channel and what method I should use to pull it down-would a small weight work?
1987 Hull # 474

rirvine

David:

I have had good success with using a length on bicycle chain as a weight to lower a length fishing line down the inside of the mast.  Use a flashlight and a wire hook to fish the bicycle chain out at the bottom of the mast.

Good luck

Ron Hill

Dave : Similar to what the other David mention - I used a small line with a medium size fishing sinker on it. 
Feed it thru the sheave on the top of the mast and had someone on deck fish it out the exit that I wanted.   Measure out 40' , 45' and 50' - that way you know when it should be with in "fishing range".   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff_McKinney

I ran into the same problem when my spinnaker halyard managed to come untied from the shackle when it was hoisted and fell back inside the mast.  :oops:

An addendum to Ron's idea: have your "fisherman" take an old wire coat-hanger, cut the long side and about 1 inch of the bent portion free. Make a small hook (about the diameter of your finger) that will easily pass through the slot in the mast. As the weighted line reaches the opening they can use the hook to snag the line and pull it out rather than trying to stuff their fingers in there.  :thumb:

Good luck.
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay