What to look for...after the jib has fouled the prop.

Previous topic - Next topic

delilah

In an effort to avoid a senseless family feud, I will withhold names and locations...

My brother-in-law (I'll refer to him as BIL), a 1986 C30 owner was recently in town with his new girlfriend (I mention his company only because it may lend some insight as to his frame of mind  ;) ) He wanted to use our C34 for the entire weekend - showing off the bay, and staying aboard...with previously mentioned company. After a day of cruising the bay, they settled in for the night on a buoy - as they approached the buoy, my BIL shifted into reverse to slow the boat and the M-25 quickly died - he didn't think much of it at the time. The next morning, a fellow cruiser informed my BIL of a line hanging off the boat...Indeed!, there was a jib sheet overboard - apparently my BIL, the engineer with advanced degrees had forgotten to tie a stopper knot in the starboard jib sheet. I can only guess that because it was early in the morning, the bay water was approx. 53 degrees, and he was with company...he coolly reached over the side and cut the sheet as low as he could. He then started the engine and motored away in forward gear - seeing bits and pieces of sheet in the prop wash. After again a day of sailing the bay, he was approaching a slip under power, engaged reverse...and again the engine quickly died. This time he decided it would be prudent to dive down, take a look, and clear any remaining jib sheet from the prop...He tested both forward and reverse while dockside, and voila, "no problems."

Well, a few days later I went up to the boat to replace the sheets that he thoughtfully ordered, and head out for a short day sail. Immediately upon unfurling the jib, I noticed several lateral tears in the jib's UV cover...and then later noticed that the top plastic flange on the furling drum was missing! I quickly surmised that those two things must have happened when the sheet became fouled and created undue downward pressure on the furled jib.

So, I've had the sail repaired, replaced the sheets and flange...and now I'm noticing the stuffing box is dripping dramatically more - is it possible that the fouled prop may have effected the stuffing box?(I have already had my regular diver check for trueness) And if so, is there anything else I should be paying close attention to?

Aquakon

Well, can you imagine the stress all the drive train components were under while serving the dual purpose of pushing the boat forward (or backward) while macerating a probably better-than-decent chunk of line?  Let's just say a little heat on that prop shaft goes a long way.

Things to look out for?  Well, I'll avoid the obvious reference to kin, but would also change the engine oil and (if you're really obsessive) flush & replace the engine coolant.

So...
Repack that sucker,
Kill that F#%&er
And never lend out your boat
(Marriage or not)
except to anyone but me.

Aquakon
ALWAYS FORGIVE BUT NEVER FORGET 09-11-01

Rumours of my Death Persist

captran

I picked up a rather large pice of heavy duty fishing net(1/8 inch) floating in the gulf stream this past summer (2' x 6') which wound around the propellor and up tight against the cutlass, causing my engine to abruptly quit when in gear. Fortunately despite the 5' waves I was able to get in and cut it away and we had a few noises during the summer that I'm trying to account for.. When I go back in the water I am going to have the shaft checked for alignment, as it is possible to bend the shaft, which might account for your problem.  I'd also check the cutlass carefully for any excess play and have replaced if necessary