Refergerator lid

Previous topic - Next topic

himarks

My new MK11 has a very heavy lid that covers the refer. It is heavy and there are no henge's on it. Makes it very difficult to deal with. Has anyone installed henge's on the lid?
himarks

Stu Jackson

Many Mk I owners have installed hinges on their fridge lids.  I looked through the Projects and FAQs at www.c34.org, but haven't found what I was looking for to show you a picture.  This has been an issue ever since the boat was introduced: 20 Years!!!

Please note that Steve Lyle, your Technical Editor, was the first to recognize this milestone in his recent Mainsheet Technical Notes.

I have not yet heard of a Mark II owner doing this, but it sure seems possible.

What we did, however, in addition to the hinges, was to add a spring loaded mini-spring to keep the top UP when we wanted to assure we wouldn't get clobbered by the top coming down on our arms.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Rose

This might help you out.  The one finger hole for the heavy lid is awkward.  I installed the two-finger type that I recessed in the lid like the original.  I believe it was a stainless Perko for mfg.  You will have to use a Router.  Much easier to handle.

Paul Blumenfeld

I installed two short butt hinges on the back edge and then a hatch spring on the inside to hold it open.  Works great when we keep the counter clean of stuff!

Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Ken Juul

PO added hinges to the outboard edge of ours.  The hinges have spring loaded pins for easy lid removal for cleaning etc.  The door is held open by a stainless hook that catches the recessed finger lift.  Will try to take pictures this weekend.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

him : Your Corian(sp?) lid is quite heavy.  Not to sure that you want to try drilling or mounting springs/hinges on it.
I think that the best you're going to be able to do is as other suggested - mount a hook that will hold the lid open.  Did that to my lid back in 1989.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788