Alternator alignment

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Illman

Another question for the group. One of the sub-tasks for my electrical upgrade project was to replace the stock alternator with a Balmar 712-80. I have the upgraded bracket on my M25-XP, but the Balmar isn't square to the other engine pulleys. There's no adjustment that I see to compensate for the front of the alternator being skewed to port. I guess I could re-mount the stock alternator and see if it was the same. For others that have swapped out the stock alternator for something else, what was your experience? I'm tempted to go buy another bracket to see if it provides better alignment. The studs going through the coolant tank don't appear to have a lot of extra length to let me shim much on the rear of the bracket.

Ideas?

Stu Jackson

Craig

I recommend a search on "alternator bracket."  I know the answer to your question is within those posts.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

Thanks, Stu.  I'd seen the posts about sawing a bit off the foot, but had missed Mike's post about having a bent bracket. Looks like I might need to do both.

- Craig

Ron Hill

Craig : When I first installed my 75 amp Balmar, I had to make some changes to get that pulley in-line with the other two.

Take a long (about 2 ft) straight edge and place it on the bottom drive pulley. Then let it extend up to the alternator.  You can see how you'll have to change so the alternator pulley will align (movement for or aft).  I initially used washers on the long bolt on top until I got it correct.  Then I had a piece of round stock (with a hole in its center) cut to the correct length and removed the washers. 

Stu and the other people that have an M25 engine have a slightly different problem than those that have an M25XP engine.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788