Traveler jam cleat relocation

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Hanson

I would like to reposition the traveler jam cleats to somewhere aft of our dodger. I have read about several people doing this however was unable to find any pictures. We do have the updated Garhauer unit with nonswiveling cleats and slotted dodger. Can anyone either E-mail them direct or post them here? It might be a good topic for the project page.

Bill Sedgwick

Bruce,
When I upgraded my traveler, Guido put put rollers instead of cam cleats on the brackets so that I could mount the cleats on the cabin top inside the doger. I would like to have cleats at both positions now since I remove the doger for racing and the forward position is more convinent from the pit. I'll be in Catalina next week for JazzTrax but I'll try to post some pictures when I get back.
Bill Sedgwick
SchatzSea #1031
George W (Bill) & Jo Ann Sedgwick
SchatzSea #1031

Stu Jackson

Bruce

We have the same setup as George described.  Guido did it for us too.  Rollers from the traveler car, then to a bullet fairlead midway back on the coach roof to the cam cleats with the protector to stop the line from coming off, but it can go up.  We had our cam cleats mounted about a foot forward of the end of the coachroof.  I moved them aft as far as possible last year and it makes a big difference in being able to secure them again after a tack.  Also, I would consider using swiveling cam cleats, since the angle of pull varies, and when you're honkin' out there, it's nice not to have to go down to the low side and pull.  I have a picture, but can't seem to get it posted here.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Not 100% sure, but if I remember correctly, I talked to Bill from Garhauer at a boat show a few years ago about bringing the cams inside the dodger.  He showed me a new block and cam set up with a longer bracket that brings the cam INSIDE the dodger cut outs.  This was a replacement for the whole block assembly on both ends.  I remember the cost wasn't all that much.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

GRAEME JACKSON

IF ANY BODY CAN EMAIL ME A PICK THIS WOULD BE GREAT
NOT SURE WERE TO PUT NEW CLAM CLEAT

Stu Jackson

Graeme

I also sent you a zip file of that article this morning.

The pciture can be found at: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2781.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

David Sanner

Like others I have cam cleats mounted on the aft edge of the cabin top. 
The line comes from a roller on the taveler directly to a swivel cam cleat. 
The swivel is a really nice feature as one person can adjust the both lines
from standing in the center of the cockpit.

There are no fairleads involved (except at the swivel cam cleat) though
there is a grommit on the dodger for the line to pass straight through.
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Bruce Hanson

To all

I called it a "jam", GRAEME called it a "clam", does anyone else want to misname this cool little unit?

Stu Jackson

Bruce

OK, I, too, have had the fun of figuring out the differences.

Here's the definition:

CAM cleats have two movable jaws.

CLAM cleats are fixed usually plastic line holders under pressure from the standing end.

JAM cleats are offset regular cleats, usually used in Europe that have absolutely NO place on a boat - I think they're dangerous, because if improperly used, with the standing or bitter end on the lower edge, they will not release without unusual pressure, which "ain't good."

skip

Bruce-

Sorry for delayed response...haven't been reading for over a month.

See http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1181.msg6018#msg6018   -   describes the arrangement I did to a 6:1 traveler to bring lines alongside companionway hatch on trim using two schaefer hinged fairlead blocks  #300-32, reversing lines through traveler to exit out the front and running lines at 45 degree angle down to trim inside dorade vents.   :D      This arrangement removed all slots/holes through dodger except the opening for the halyards, sheets, vang, outhaul etc just over the companionway trim.    When I re-did my dodger it allowed me to increase the window area without any slots.    I used cleats at the end of the trim closest to the washboards.

I have a pic from the top in front of the old dodger that I can post once I can figure out why I don't get it under additional options.

Michael & Helene Scipione - Virtual Reality 840
Lincroft, New Jersey

David Sanner

Here's the swiveling cam cleat that I have for my traveler setup. (see attached image)
Notice the grommit in the dodger where the line come through.

Bruce Hanson

Many thanks to all responders, I plan on selecting required hardware at Strictly Sail in Chicago. Does anyone have a doubler or backer plate installed to spread the load? The footprint of most cam cleats appear to be rather small.

Stu Jackson

Bruce,

The load is almost entirely in shear.  Why would you need backing plates?  Our simple cam cleats  use the two good-sized (and well bedded) screws into the core of the cabintop.  It appears that even the swivel types would be the same, unless Dave Sanner has through-bolted his.

David Sanner

Stu is right, the load is perpendicular to the mounting screws and isn't even that large because of the
purchase on the traveler.  (I can adjust my traveler by hand under full load).

However I think mine are through bolted with washers on two of the bolts but the third is screwed
in because it's right at the edge so you can't drill through.

The PO had put them there but they didn't swivel.  The swivel makes all the different as you can
stand on the centerline and adjust both at the same time.