What to do with an old mainsail??

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Denest

What do you guys do with old sails?  Doorprizes? Pet beds?  Tarps? :?: :think  I have the original to #680 but I have not unfolded it to look at the condition.  How can I tell if it has been blown out?
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Jeff_McKinney

Mike,

There are companies out there that recycle old sails into bags, pants, and all sorts of things. Maybe one of them can help you.

Blown out? Are the seams letting go or the fabric tearing? I'd say take it to a loft & have them look at it.
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Jon Schneider

I wouldn't waste your time or the loft's.  It's about 18 years old, right?  You can safely assume that it's blown out.  Even if it isn't (no, strike that... it is), mainsail technology and design has come a long way baby since that one was new.  Plus, it was probably a fairly cheaply-built one to begin with.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Footloose

Mike,

Jon is right in that sail technology has improved.  The original mains do not have a leach line and full battens are now the rage.  Also materials and cut are different.

I think the best way to tell if you need to replace your sail or have it repaired is if it trims they way you want it to.  Can you make the leach tight without over trimming?  A good sail maker can tell you alot.  I was looking at replacing my main this winter, however after talking with the sailmaker I have had it recut and resewn.  I am getting a new genny instead, and two sails weren't in the budget.  The price difference was about 15:1

Hope this helps,
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Phil Spicer

Mike
   If all is lost........not to be used again, why not make a small sail to ride on at anchor?
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Mike Denest

Thanks guys,
Well, for now, it's folded up in the corner of my basement.  I believe it was replaced a couple of years ago by a PO so I'm not too concerned.  I got a good look at the replacement when we did the sea trial so everything is fine.  One of these days I'll open it up in the yard and take a good look at it.  Recycling sounds like a good idea, I think I talked to someone at the Annapolis boat show who does this.   :thumb:
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD