FRONT HATCH

Previous topic - Next topic

PAUL T.

Hello All........ I am looking for a replacement front hatch for the 1987 vintage c34. I am looking for one that I saw but can't remember where. The hatch I'm looking for is tinted plexiglass and replaces the solid fiberglass one without any cutting or modification.   Thanx for the help........PAUL

Stu Jackson

Paul

Try www.cruisingconcepts.com

They advertise in Mainsheet magazine.

Also do a search on front hatch or both words individually.  You may find that replacing a solid front hatch may NOT be the way to go.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

PAUL T.

Thanx for the quick comeback Stu!!!  I did a search. Are there any other issues other than light coming through the hatch in the morning?   Thanx again.........PAUL

Jon Arck - Past C34IA Commodore

Paul,

If light in the am (or lack of privacy in close quarters) bothers you, why not install roll-up shades?  I installed them in the vee berth and main salon, and feel a lot cozier at night (and sleep better/later in the morning).  And they look pretty good, too.

Mike Denest

My forward hatch is cracked so I'll be looking for one also.  Right now, Red Green's duct tape is holding it firm.
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Tom Glennon

While on the subject of 1987 vintage forward hatches... mine seems to have a little "weep" where the gasket material joins... I did slice it at an angle to try and eliminate the dead-butt. Any suggestions out there?
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Ted Pounds

I had the same problem.  I opened the joint and sqeezed in some caulk, the same stuff I used to bed the glass. Wiped off the excess and let it dry.  Seems to have solved the drip.   :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jon Schneider

You don't have to buy a whole new hatch.  I had Select Plastics (www.selectplastics.com) replace the lens on my forward hatch.  I think it cost about $350.  It's unbelievable to be able to look out with a clear view while sailing!
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

For the readers info: The 1986/early 87 came with an opaque forward hatch (like a C30), the 1987 had a Bomar with an adjusting arm, the 1988 thru 1992? had the Lewmar (trouble some) Rollstop hatch.  The 1992 and later have the new Lewmar with the improved hinges.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788