Diesel Odor

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Suben

:devil

After changing the oil and running anti-freeze through the cooling system, I happened to check the bilge before closing Surprise up for her season on the hard.  To my surprise and dismay, there was a considerable amount of diesel fuel in the bilge.  Checking back, I found a slow leak in the tank.

I emptied the tank of as much fuel as the pick up tube would pick up, and then proceeded to get it out of the boat.  While maneuvering the tank out of the rear cabin, I had to tip it over, and some of the fuel from the bottom of the tank ran out through one of the openings.

Although I wiped up the spill as soon as I put the tank in the cockpit, I suspect that some of the oil soaked into the sole.  In any event, the boat now reeks of diesel fuel.  Even though I have left a hatch open to air it out, the boat still smells.

My question is this:  Does anyone know of a way to get rid of the smell of diesel fuel?
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Ron Hill

Vic : I suspect that you spilled diesel on the 2 pieces in the galley/steps area. 
I'd remove those two pieces and take them home, air them out and then re-varnish them.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

The solution to all foul smells is eucalyptus -and lots of it.  I use it by putting a b unch of branches on top of my holding tank to relieve those scents, so it should work on diesel.  Get a couple of bunches for the cabin.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Steve Hansen

Hello Vic,
If you found diesel in the bilge, you will need to check the path the fuel took to get there. Our's leaked last season and the smell did not quit until the fuel was scrubbed out. I first wiped any wet with fuel areas with paper towels. I then used Purple Power and rinsed, then used concentrated Dawn liberally and scrubbed into all nooks and crannies, and left overnight. The next morning I rinsed so that the fiberglass felt squeaky clean and dried with towels and fans. Areas found were the fuel tank platform, under this platform, on the hull from the tank to the head compartment and under the liner as far as I could reach, bilge, under the liner from the bilge including all the hoses under there, under the drive shaft area and the hoses in this area. Also the port teak bulkhead in the aft stateroom had wicked fuel about halfway up into the board so I replaced this. BTW When I discovered the fuel in the bilge it was only about a tablespoons worth. A little diesel goes a loooong way! I would also remove the sole and clean this area if you spilled. Best of luck :thumb:

Steve
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

BillG

Last year when I removed my tank to clean, I also spilled a bit of diesel.  I used "Simple Green" in a concentrated form to clean up the mess and the smell.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD