New or Used Jib

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

OK, I have one question (in 15 parts...).

After moving my C34 from SoCal to Texas, it's only taken me three weeks to lose my headsail.  I secured it the way I always did in Newport Beach, only to have the high winds last Sunday unfurl it and tear it to pieces.  Not a huge issue since nothing else was damaged and I needed to think about a replacement for a 15 year old sail.  My question is regarding the "luff tape" (I'm hoping I have these terms correct).  I keep seeing reference to #6, #7 or #8 for the foil.  If I have the original Hood SeaFurl 915 DL, what size do I need?

Also, any suggestions on the size for Lake Travis?  I was thinking of a 150%.

Yes Stu, I did a search first.   :thumb:

Cheers.

Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

karista

I just orderd a new 150 headsail, the luff tape, for the 915 hood RF is #6.
Bernd Mueller
1990-1012
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Philip Imhof

You might want to consider upgrading your Hood furling 915LD to a new Hood single line system. You can still get it for $598.

Jim Price

I upgraded my 915LD to the new single line drum from Hood and I can say, 1) I did the change out by myself, so it ain't too hard to do, and 2) this is the BEST thing I have done to the boat.  I single hand a lot and the ease that you can manage furling and unfurling is like day and night compared to the old continuous line drive. 

One mans opinion but I love it! 

Don't forget that even with the great discount price, you will still need to change out the furling line blocks if you have the original "double blocks" on the stanchions.  Garhauer normally has best prices and they now have stanchion tube blocks for single lines.  You will probably also need additional block at bow to help direct initial turn of line and I also added a Garhauer track block to outboard track at cockpit end just to be able to better control the line and not have the first pressure point on a stanchion guide or block.  Just easier for me.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Rick Johnson

What discount?  Is there a discount on the upgrade to a 900 SL? :shock:
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Jim Price

If the link below works it will take you to messages about a deal worked out at begining of year with Hood for C34IA.  May no loger be good but you can try.

If link does not work, do search on this board fopr"hood upgrade"

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2046.0
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ron Hill

Rick : After 15 years I think you're ready for a new jib.  The luff tape size as mentioned is #6. 
You might also consider inspecting/replacing the head stay after all that time.  Consider maybe even a completely new furling system at the same time.  Do some comparative pricing on Hood, Schaefer and Harken. 
Once that head stay is covered up, it's seldom inspected again. 
In our Chesapeake Bay Fleet a 1989 and a 1990 boat have already done that while replacing their rigging and I'm going to to do the similar this next season.   A thought.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Also consider Pro Furl.  We have a Pro Furl LCI32 and think it's great.  It's one of the few furlers that even the instructions say:  You CAN reef using the winch.!!!!"  Zero maintenance (except for checking on screws and bolts through dissimilar metals (Lanocote and TefGel work just fine there.)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."