New Roller furler

Previous topic - Next topic

jpaulroberts

I love the 1987 C-34 I bought last year but the original continuous line Hood roller Furler is useless for reefing. I am going to buy a Profurl. Can any one advice me on the best model to buy? It looks like the Classic line is best for this sort of boat. Also, should I try and keep my old genoa or get a new one made? I keep my boat on City Island, New York, and we have both Doyle and UK lofts there. I bought a new full batten main from Doyle last fall. Also if I go with a new sail should I have the tack low at the stem, or up off the deck a bit?
Thanks, Jerry

Paul Bosquet

At first, I had a hell of a time with my furler but after a thorough cleaning it works fine . I have not had a problem with reefing the genoa under tension. Last time I was out , we had 30+ knts winds average and of course had the genoa reefed with no problem.  My question is , what kind of problems are you having with reefing the fore sail ??

Paul
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

RON SCHERER

Paul--I have a 87 also. When I bought our boat it did not have furling if you can believe that. I JUST put a new LC132 on and love it, at least the one day I got to use it before we had to come home to Phx,Az. The boat is in San Diego. I had my 110 converted from hanks. I also look forward to a new sail in the near future. I have it positioned off the deck even with bow pulpit for visibility. Works great. Have a great time with your Cat 34 I sure am. Ron Scherer

Jim Price

I would look first at the upgrade you can get on the old Hood continuous line fuler.  I upgraded to the single line this past summer and I can tell you that I have no problem taking up the head sail in any kind of wind.  There were times with the old furler that I could not get the sail under control even when heading up.  Now I just pull the line and roll/reef to my point and cleat the line off.   :clap

Mainly, there is a TREMENDOUS savings by going this route because you can use the same forestay and foils.  Hood (Pomponette) gives a good price I think because they want the old continuous units returned for parts to fix other old units.

Search the C34 site - tons of threads on the upgrade.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

jpaulroberts

The problem I had with the Hood system was when I tried to let out just a bit of sail in 20 knots, it took the whole thing. The drum just didn't seem to care that I had the line cleat-ed. I tried several times, and the drum just wouldn't do anything but let the wind take the whole sail out.  I sail in Long Island Sound when you go from light and variable  to 20knots in minutes.  I need a system I can count on to let me reef in under load. I'll check with Hood on the upgrade, but I've heard Profurl is the way to go. I'm one of those old fashioned guys who believes you need a system that allows you to keep sail on when it gets bad. Engines are great, but I also want a rig that I can crawl off a lee shore with. My old Pearson Triton did not have roller furling and I set whatever size head sail I needed. It was a hussle, but I could count on it. The Hood system scared the hell out of me.

Stu Jackson

ProFurl LCI32.

Your choice on the length of the link plates.  I have mine way off the deck to keep the jib from hitting the pulpit.  Not too good for racing.

Do a search on ProFurl.  As I mentioned on another recent post, if I do the search for you I can't pick up the URL and paste it here, so please try it yourself.  Also serch on link plates.

We love ours, replaced an old CDI.  The idea to consider redoing the Hood has great merit.

Your boat, your choice.

We rarely use the reefing feature, with only a 110 and a separate 85 jib, we use a jib "for the seasons" - smaller in summer with higher winds.  Anyway, reefing the main first is much better anyway, but then I wouldn't know how to sail with 155.   8)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tony Benoit

Hi,

Helen C ('89, #903) came with a line drive unit, which I replaced last year with the single line upgrade from Hood.

I posted a description of the process in the thread at http://www.c34.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1500&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hood+upgrade

I would be happy to answer any questions about the process.

Tony

Gene Regan

Just installed the upgrade from hood on Freedom . Call Hood and speak to them about the special pricing I negotiated with them for c34ia members. It saves you a hundred dollars. The wife and I did the install together in an hour.
Think about it. Use the savings on a complete system  somewhere else on the boat. Keep smiling

jpaulroberts

Gene,
Thanks for the info on the deal you cut with Hood. Do you have a contact name and number? Jerry

Gene Regan

Jerry,
email Hope at Pomponette http://www.pompanette.com/home. That who the arrangement was originally made though . This is the web site. Go there and use The email feature there. Also I would call her. You can find the number for the Hood division there. The deal I made was supposed to expire Dec 31 04 but I think they will still honor it if you ask them to.
Let me know how it goes and if necessary I'll get involved .

jpaulroberts

Gene,
Thanks for the info. I contacted them and got the discount you arranged to convert from my hood 915 to the 900. Jerry

Gene Regan

:clap  :thumb:  :clap
Congrats Jerry,
I'm sure you'll like it and the $1500 + you saved. Remember to have the new line de cored  1/3rd the length as per Hood instructions. Length should be 75 or so feet . They recommend 7/16. Also get the stanchion guides and Pulpit block from Garhauer . As memory serves me about 125.00. Keep Smiling.