Portable Air Conditioner

Previous topic - Next topic

karista

Has anyone installed a portable ac unit (inside)? The type that has wheels and exhausts via a 5" hose? It seems that this would make sense, as I could power it with my Honda 2000 and wheel it to where the cooling is needed. It would drain into the bilge. I tried the cruisair but it doesn't do the job.
Bernd
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

ross99

I tried this approach.  Last summer,  I purchased a Sunpentown 12,000 BTU unit, which was the largest unit I saw at the time.  Bought it off the internet.   They are $419.  at http://www.compactappliance.com

I placed the unit on the seat in the aft cabin, pointing it out into the main cabin and exhausted it through the Solar vent (which I removed)  and the exhaust hose connector was a perfect fit.  I have a dodger that keeps the hole dry, but when the unit is out (I only put it on the boat when we cruise overnight)  I have a cap that covers the vent hole. I also ran the drain line into the bilge.  

Results are "mixed"  Due to its location, access to the rear berth is pretty limited, though we use it for storage never sleep there anyway.  During the day, the unit cannot get the cabin really well-cooled, but it does make sleeping a lot nicer when we cruise.    I do not have a genset, but I would expect that the Honda 2000 should handle it.  The unit is rated at 9 amps but I think the startup load is going to be higher.  We are "marina people"  when we cruise, and I run it off the regular 30 amp shore power.

When I have the boat pulled this winter I think I will bite the bullet and put in  thru-hulls  for a "real"  marine a/c system.

karista

Thanks for your reply. Your set-up is exactly what I had planned on doing, but after reading your experience, I will not proceed. We generally get 90+degree temperatures in the summer, so based on your input, it appears that this type of system would not be able to provide acceptable cooling levels.
Bernd
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL