Interior varnish 1992

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland Gendreau

I need to touch up the interior varnish particularly in the head of my 1992 C34.  I'd like to use something quick drying and compatible with the factory finish.

In searching the archives, there is a reference to a water based Oxford satin varnish used on Mark II's. Is this also what was used on my 1992?

http://www.c34.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=897&highlight=oxford

Thanks in advance

Roland
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

captran

I have not been on a 1992, but I have just finished some work on my 97, so my thoughts may not apply...but for what it's worth...I have done some small areas, touching up with a spray helmsman gloss and it seemed to blend in very well with whatever catalina did.  Yes, I know they used a waterbased, which is why the color seems to leech out when you get water on it, and helmsman is not water based.  No need to repeat what others have said on the board about how best to apply the waterbased stuff Catalina used and the difficulties of an even application.  anyway, another consideration is color matching.  I just replaced the port side 2 cabinents.  I used a benjamin moore stain- "wood conditioner" with helmsman varnish over.  I had the stain custom made and everyone I had aboard this summer couldn't tell the new side from the old side, so I am quite pleased with the result. (and believe me, I am picky).  I also touched up around the sink with the conditioner and varnished over that with a mix of epiphines rubbed effect varnish and their thinner and got an excellent match.  dittoaround the bathroom doorjam, and a few areas under windows where I have always been plagued by minor leaks.  Best thing is experiment.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Ed Shankle

I've used Interlux Interior varnish and really liked the way it came out. The the look is very compatible with the original finish and it's easy to work with. Nor for use on the cabin sole, however.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Roland Gendreau

Thanks for the suggestions.

I found out from Catalina Service dept that the 1992 interior was finished with the same Oxford water based varnish used on the MK2's

Roland
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI