Replacement Propane Locker

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick McCall

Hi, the previous owner of our boat did a horrible job on his own 'custom' propane locker. What I'd like to do is replace with something close to the original which I can purchase complete. Does anyone know if the small propane locker on the seward site will fit a 1987? Does anyone have any other suggestions? I have searched the site and found lots of info on custom solutions but I'm not that handy, nor do I have a lot of free time so an off the shelf solution works best for me.
Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Mike Smith

Rick -

The small tank locker (93268) should fit - its only a little more than a 1' cube. When the Overflow Protection Valve (OPV) requirement came out, tanks had to be manufactured with a taller collar, which wouldn't fit in the older lockers.  Thats when folks (including your PO?) started getting creative with their propane tank lockers.  I think Seward makes a lid which will fit the OPV tanks that you can retrofit to an old locker if you have one.

Mike

Jim Price

Seward makes a modified lid that you can get direct from them or through Sailnet if you have Seward's number.  I recently replaced mine as I also replaced the old tank.  Lid was $40 and new tank was $77.  Seward suggest I order both through Sailnet as I could get Seward's tank for less money and lid would be the same.  Seward told me that would have to sell me the stuff a full retail price if they did the deal but Sailnet would sell for less.  I am satisfied.   :D
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Jeff Tancock

Hi True Blue
When we bought our boat the propane tank was just laying in the bottom of the aft locker!
I was scared to start the engine the first time when I took delivery...
After looking around I came across a system called ProPal.
It is a heavy duty plastic propane container that is fully self contained and can be mounted on your stern or inside the aft locker...which is what I did. It can hold a 20lb tank if you wish. I use a 10lb tank myself.
I know that you are in my marina so if you want t check it out let me know. I personally know the inventor/developer so I can probably get you a bit of a deal!
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Mike Smith

Jeff -

I'd like more information on the ProPal container - I can't find it on the Internet - do you have an e-mail address or Website for it?

Mike

Jeff Tancock

Hi Mike,

If you want some info I'll have to make a call to find the developer.
It's a local fellow who developed the product for both the marine and RV market. It didn't find a big enough market to hit big time.
I can describe it to you though. It's a heavy duty plastic product that is exactly big enough for a 20lb tank. The lid is removable for refilling/removing the tank. It comes with a pressure gauge, all the fittings for venting in and out and a bracket for mounting on the stern rail. It comes in both blue and white. I had a couple of long angle brackets made so that I could hang it off to the starboard side of the plywood surface in the middle of the aft locker. This allows good access to my precious storage area in the aft locker and was easy to vent through the transom. Let me know what else you need to know. Email address is jefftancock@shaw.ca
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Ron Hill

BTW, even though the new 1 gal tank with the OPD is slightly taller; you can take a hack saw to the guard on the tank and wack off 3/4" and the old cover will now fit.  Just paint the cut so it doesn't rust.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

dmorrison

I called Tom Schultz at Seaward Products (562-699-7997 x204) this week to order a new OPD propane tank and replacement lid for the locker, as recommended by Jim Moe in one of the project pages.  http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-propane-storage.html  Tom said they're running a special for Catalina owners this month (August 2005) and gave me 25% off.  If anyone else still hasn't made that upgrade, now might be a good time to think about it.

Footloose

Last week I had the valve in the old tank replaced.  It was $30 including labor and filling the tank.  Works great.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain