Multi-Stage Voltage Regulator

Previous topic - Next topic

Footloose

Thanks for all the help on my previous post.

I am in the middle of upgrading my electrical system.  I have put in a relay for the glow plugs and put in the wiring harness upgrade and re-wired the charging circuit.  I also found a high resistance short in the battery charger of all things.  There has been major improvement but I am looking to make it better

I am looking for some feedback on the multi-stage voltage regulators and are they worth the money.  I know this probably comes down to haw I want to spend my money, in the end.

For the most part our boat sits on a mooring and gets to a dock only for short periods or if we spend a night at a marina when we are cruising.  The motor is run for 10-15 minutes while we get out of the mooring field and out into the wind.  After that it is battery power to run instruments and radios, probably 2 amps at most.  We sail for several hours and then hopeful start the motor to tie up at the mooring.

I have a high output alternator and a heavy duty voltage regulator that aren't installed yet.  I am looking to get lots of amps into my battery in a short period of time.  The question  is will this regulator upgrade make a significant difference?  The shore power battery chargers make a difference so I would assume this wound also but I would like some reassurance
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Ron Hill

Dave : Not too sure what kind of assurance you need.  You've done all of the reading on why you need an external multi-stage voltage regulator for the Hi-output alternator.  That same rational is true for the shore charger.  It does a BETTER, faster job of charging and is friendly-er to your $$ batteries !!
You have to decide, that if you seldom plug into shore power if it's worth the cost to spring for a Xantrex 20 or not; and whether your batteries are worth that extra protection??  
If you don't have a hi-draw amp item like a fridge, inverter etc., then the alternator should keep the batteries up.  However, you really won't know your batteries status unless you have a battery monitor!!

I might also point out some another items.  It's best to run your diesel for 10 to 15 minutes AFTER it reaches operating temperature.  It's not a good practice to start the engine and shut it off 10-15minutes later and not reach 160degrees. (think your raw water is cold up where you are!) You can also sail with the dribble charge from your solor panel, which will help.
Some thoughts. :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Footloose

Ron
Thanks for the reply.  As I was typing out the post I pretty much talked myself into the multi-stage regulator for the reasons you stated.  This site and the CD have been well worth the money of membership. :clap
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain