Starter motor won't turn off

Previous topic - Next topic

claire

Here's a doozy: the starter motor on my Universal M25XP won't shut off unless I kill battery power.  The starter motor will also come on spontaneously at random times... this happens even if power to the engine panel is off, so it's unlikely to be a sticky starter switch.  All the other wiring checks out okay as well.  When I jump the solenoid directly, it does show the problem of staying on.

I pulled the solenoid and took a look at it; it doesn't seem to be sticking on its spring or anything.  I bought a new one anyway, though, but can't  get it to go in.  It's the exact same type of solenoid, with a metal "hook" on the end that seems like it has to go into a slot and catch a bar, but for the life of me I can't get it to slot in.  Anyone ever installed one of these???

But the weird thing is that when I take the removed solenoid and attach it directly to a battery, it doesn't stick.  So maybe it's not the solenoid?  If it's not, could it be a sticking lever in the starter motor itself?

Was supposed to leave on a 2-week cruise to Maine tonight, so I'm frantically trying to get this to work today... please help!

Stu Jackson

Don't know your hull # or what engine you have.

Your symptoms sound suspiciously like you need a wiring harness upgrade.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

claire

Thanks for the quick reply Stu :)

That's what I thought as well at first so I isolated the solenoid. I.e removed the wire from the spade terminal on the solenoid and just have the starting battery hooked up to the + post. I jump across the two and the engine cranks. I remove the screwdriver and it keeps cranking until I kill the starter battery switch.

btw bypassing the solenoid itself does cause the starter to spin ( albeit not engaged)

Of course this was all before I removed the solenoid and now find it impossible to get it ( or a new one) back in and engaged on the starter clutch lever.

Thanks for your help :)

Jim Fitch

Hi Claire -

The starter on my M35 had the same problem a few years back but we didn't notice until you could smell the paint burning on the starter (I was cleaning fish at the transom while my 12 year old son was driving).  Shut off the panel switch and the starter shuts off, turn on the panel switch and the engine starts cranking.

I had to go around the harbor to borrow socket extensions to get the bugger out and I remember I had to do everything by feel rather than sight but I don't remember having trouble getting it to engage.

I wish I had some words of wisdom to help, I've had those last minute problems too.  In fact my starter went between the Vineyard and Nantucket with no wind and we had to tow it back in with the dingy (I had a big dingy with me).

Jim
Sunshine
Scituate

Ron Hill

Claire : You never answered Stu as to whether you have the wiring harness up grade or not.  
Hard to tell if you ever need it, as you didn't mention your hull# or production year.  I'll guess that with an M25XP - YOU NEED IT!!   :roll:
Ron, Apache #788

Mark Elkin

Quote from: claireI pulled the solenoid and took a look at it; it doesn't seem to be sticking on its spring or anything.  I bought a new one anyway, though, but can't  get it to go in.  It's the exact same type of solenoid, with a metal "hook" on the end that seems like it has to go into a slot and catch a bar, but for the life of me I can't get it to slot in.  Anyone ever installed one of these???

But the weird thing is that when I take the removed solenoid and attach it directly to a battery, it doesn't stick.  So maybe it's not the solenoid?  If it's not, could it be a sticking lever in the starter motor itself?

Get a pair of needlenose pliers and a flashlight.  Look inside the opening where the solenoid attaches.  You should see thick metal wire and a couple metal arms extending into the opening.  Grab the metal wire with the pliers and pull towards you, then push away.  If it moves 1/4 to 1/2 inch, then the lever is not stuck.

To re-attach the solenoid, make sure the hook opening is facing outwards (away from the starter motor body).  You want to have the solenoid hook catch that thick metal wire between the metal arms.  Using the needlenose pliers, gentle pull the wire towards you until it just stops.

Now tilt the solenoid (away from parallel to the starter motor body) as you start slipping the solenoid into place.  Once the hook is between the metal arms and under the metal wire, rotate the solenoid into it's normal position parallel to the starter motor.  It may take a couple of tries.  You know you are successful if you pull the solenoid parallel to the starter motor and the hook keeps you from pulling the solenoid completely out.
Mark S Elkin