Rail replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark G

Wife learning to dock... let's leave it at that.

I have a significantly bent stanchion on the port side. The first one with the knee adjacent to the companionway. Any idea on where I can get a replacement? 1991 tall rig.

Could have been worse, I guess. No visible damage to deck or below where bolts fasten. It's actually still about as sturdy as it was to start but I realize it could be greatly weakened or bolts could be broken.

Thanks.

Stu Jackson

Mark

It's a Catalina.

They're still in business.

Connect the dots.

Thats' what we did a few years ago.

New shiny stanchions are very nice.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

dave davis

All the stanchions are made by Garhauer Marine. You can contact them on their website or call them at 909-985-9993. You can compare prices with CY. Good Luck
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Jim Price

Replace.  Even if it feels sturdy, but looks ugly, an impact like that probably cracked the water tight seal in the deck plate/bolts and you will probably get water leakage.  You may not see right away because it may go into the core first - and that would be BAD!  

CY and Garhauer are the sources and do a really good job when you install, let the caulk cure before completely tightening down.  You will just squeeze out the seal if you hanker down tight on the first go round and you know what you get then.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Mike Smith

CatalinaDirect.com has them also.  Get the backing plate and do it right.

Mike

Ken Juul

Nice to see you back on line.  Dennis must have been kinder than Isabel.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Mark : If you're still worried about your 1st Mate's practice docking, replace that bent one with a double leg stanchion (like at the boarding gate).  It can handle more punishment.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788