Rear exhaust hose

Previous topic - Next topic

John Fogelgren #718 '88

We just purchased a 1988 C34, haul #718.  The survey requires that we replace the rear exhaust hose.  Does anyone know the diameter and the length of this hose (from the muffler to the transom)?  Any tips for installation?

Ron Hill

John : The size is 1 5/8"(inside) Diameter.  On your length you can call Catalina parts, but the best is to remove the old one an then measure it.  At those kind of $$/ft you don't need to buy extra!!  I'm going to guess at a little less than 20 ft.   :?:
Ron, Apache #788

John Fogelgren #718 '88

Thanks.  We removed the old hose and measured 17 feet.  The only place we could find the hose in a continuous length was from Catalina Direct at a cost of $7.65 a foot plus shipping.  Installation was pretty straightforward and not as difficult at I had anticipated.

Stu Jackson

John

Thanks for your "reference" post on finding hose.

I recently ventured into my local Universal dealer, who also happens to sell hose.  He advised that the longest lengths they have of the 1 5/8" for the rear exhaust hose is 12 feet and that they'd either sell two pieces and "you buy a butt fitting" or would special order a reel (weren't too happy about that).

I don't want to put a splice in that line, and Catalina Direct is a few hours away from me in Sacramento, CA.

Anybody else have any other sources, local to SF or by mail, that would obtain a 17 or 18 foot length of exhaust hose?  I also suppose that any wire reinforced adequate automotive replacement would suffice as well.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : I believe that the Exhaust Hose is a SPECIAL type wire reinforced hose for wet exhaust  and I wouldn't trust any automobile type "substitute" !!!

I agree with Stu that a coupling/joint isn't a prudent solution.  

I'm sure that the Catalina Factory buys that hose by the "box car full".  Might try Catalina Parts for 17 feet of exhaust hose.  
A few thoughts.  :roll:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

To: Stu Jackson
Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:25 pm
Subject: rear exhaust hose  
Stu,
We live in virginia and the shipping from Catalina direct was not very expensive ( about $25) for the hose.

John
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."