Ratchet block

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

I don't have any experience with a ratchet block and I'm thinking about using one on my furling line to help when reefing.  Question I have is this, does the block hold all the opposing force on the line, or does the block just add friction when the ratchet mode is engaged which still lets the line slip out slowly.  Are the 'teeth' in the sheeves supposed to grab the line and not let it slip out in the opposite direction that you are trying to pull?  Kind of like how a self tailing winch works.....

Thanks!!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Roc : Do what I did and install a small #16 self tailing winch on the same side as the furling line, but aft of the primary Genoa winch.  Works great for reefing!!  
I also use it for the tack control line on the cruising spinnaker.  I'll put a picture in Projects.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

SteveLyle

Roc -

You got it.  My Harken ratchet block has a slider on the side to engage/disengage the ratchet.  The ratchet provides some resistance, when engaged, to keep the line from from going back out when you're hauling it in (assuming you have the line running the correct way through the block).  So, when unfurling, ratchet off, when furling, ratchet on.  But generally we just leave it off, I've never had a problem with the line slipping out of my hands when furling.

Steve