Transmission Failure

Previous topic - Next topic

paule

Two other c34's in my marina have approached me with transmission failure.  One of the owners said that there was a recall service bulletin.

One of the boat is a 2000 the other 2001 should I be concerned with my boat a 2003.

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Ron Hill

Paul : Think you're asking the wrong group.  I personally know of no "recall".

I'd call Westerbeake and Catalina with your question - they will be the first to be alerted by Hurth (Xmission manufacturer)!!!  (and then let the rest of us know their answer) :!:
Ron, Apache #788

paule

To add to my original post the two things to be aware of is the the shifter handle hits the pedestal guard when placed into forward. Also when shifting the transmission sometimes does not shift into forward or reverse.  

The one owner said that there was an advisory with this problem.  I never saw one in Mainsheet or on the board. :shock:  

Thanks Ron.
And I will keep the group up to date.
Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Tom Soko

Paule,
A year or so ago there were a few tranny failures in 99-01 C36's (same engine and tranny as the C34).  After a lot of phone calls and sleuthing, Tom Senator, Tech Editor for the C36MkII's, determined that there was a bad batch of springs in the damper plates that got by QC in the Hurth (now ZF Marine) factory.  You and your dockmates might have some of those tranny's.  I don't think there was ever a recall by Catalina or ZF Marine.  I believe  ZF was handling it case by case.  More can be read at:
http://catalina36.org/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/6186056212/m/1631072621/r/1151029621
Another problem that surfaced over the past few years was the lack of throw in the shifting cable, but the adjustment of the cables is a dealer issue for new boats.  Hope this helps.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Tom Soko

Paule,
Let me restate part of my reply.  Your dockmates might have some of those tranny's.  I don't know of any tranny problems with newer (2002 and newer) boats.  You should not be concerned.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

paule

Thanks,
I will pass this on to them

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947