Jib Sheet block

Previous topic - Next topic

terry

The sheave on my jib sheet block has broken.  I use a half inch line through the block.  Anybody recognize the manufacturer or have done this before?

I have no idea if I've attached the image correctly.  Sorry if it doesn't work...
Terry Schacht
1990 Shadow #1060
Sheboygan, WI

Ron Hill

Terry : Call Garhauer Marine (909)985-7513/9993.  
You might consider getting their ball bearing movable Genoa car system, so you can adjust that block from the cockpit.  Be sure that you tell them that you have a C34 with a recessed track.  :clap

Don't know where you sail out of on Winnebago, but I grew up in FDL.
Ron, Apache #788

terry

I should have been more specific.  My jib sheet goes through 2 blocks.  One on the track as Ron has mentioned and the other through a block at the transom and back to the winch.  It's this latter block that the sheave is broken in.

And Ron, you and I have had this conversation before.  Your wife went to high school with my father (Richard Schacht - Itsy).  We previously sailed out of Fond du Lac (first 17 years or so) and the last 7 have been out of the Pioneer Resort in Oshkosh.
Terry Schacht
1990 Shadow #1060
Sheboygan, WI

Jim Price

Answer is still the same.  The big cheek blocks were made by Garhauer also.  They can repair or replace.  You may still want to look at blocks with bearings even though I think these cheek blocks are a little more expensive - but cheaper than any other brand  - and better!
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Stu Jackson

Guido ro Bill at Garhauer will sell you a new sheave.

Just measure the sheave, call 'em and tell 'em what you need.  They'll mail it to you.

I need new ones, too.  Let me know what they cost!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Terry : When you talk to Garhauer make sure that you specify that you want ball bearing TURNING blocks.  You might even consider sending them one of the old blocks so they can match the bolt holes - so you don't have to drill any new/extra holes in your boat!  :wink:

Had an good friend Pat Whealon die this past year.  We were class mates in HS.  I'm sure you at least heard of him at the FDL Yacht club.
Ron, Apache #788