Low rpm follow up

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Had my prop checked while the boat was out of the water earlier this month.  It was within specs so figured my lack of rpms must be an engine problem.   On a whim i put a heavy ounce of Chevron Techron in a gallon of fuel and ran it through the engine.  Max rpms rose from 2600 to 2800 :clap  Next step is to treat the entire tank with Techron. Going on a week long cruise starting Sat, leading a couple of H36's to Solomon's Island and probably on to the Little Choptank.  Should see plenty of motoring as most of the planned destinations have long river approaches.  Hopefully  with more cleaning the engine will get a few more turns.  Will let you all know.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Ken : We'll be waiting for your report.

Another trick is to add a very heavy dose (50%) of diesel injector cleaner to the new Racor when you're replacing it.   That nearly pure injector cleaner with clear out most deposits in the fuel system.  Some of the diesel treatments will recommend this in their bottles.  
A thought.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Brad Costan

Ken

Can you give more specifics as to your remedy.....

What engine do you have ?
When you say that you put a heavy ounce in a gallon of fuel and ran it through.....was your tank empty at the time ?

Thanks

Brad

Ken Juul

Great Trip!  We put about 30 hours on the engine, max RPMs remain at 28-2900.   I can now cruise in the Chesapeake's choppy 3-4 ft waves at 6 knots at 2500 and have some spare turns if needed.  The engine should have close to 1000 hours on it by the end of the season, think I'll plan on rebuilding the injectors over the winter layup.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ed Shankle

Just to clarify, is there a particular brand of Techron for diesel systems?
What I found at NAPA made no reference to engine type. Is this stuff ok for both gas and diesel? The guys at the store weren't sure.

thanks,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Brad Costan

Techron is a trademark of Chevron.....it's available at most Chevron gas stations and on the back of the bottle it does say "OK for use in diesels".

Ron Hill

If you look at Walmart there's a diesel additive/Ce tane booster for approx $9.50 a quart.  It cleans the injectors and is safe enough to fill the new racor filter with and really clean things out.

It's name is Power Source (PS).  Probably the same stuff that Cheveron has, but at 1/4 the $$!!!    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

I buy my Techron at Walmart also.  12oz bottle treats up to 20 gals.  If I remember correctly it was $6.50.  Takes 2 bottles to treat the tank.  If Ron's Power Source will do it with one  it will save enough for a couple of Corona's.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Ken : I believe that the Power Source bottle treats up to 300 gals depending on how much Cetane boost you want.  
That will buy more than one BECKs!!!   :wink:[/b]
Ron, Apache #788