engine mounts

Previous topic - Next topic

fulvio

The consensus on this message board seems to be for the Vetus K-50 or K-75 mounts.  I was wondering if anyone has any experience with mounts from Bushings Inc. or from Drivelines NW.

Here are some links:

Bushings Inc.
    This is the Bushings Inc. model recommended for Universal M25XP:
    Vetus
    Aquadrive from Drivelines NW
    [/list:u]

Also, does anybody know the manufacturer and model of the stock mounts that Catalina uses?
    929 Soliton 1989
    Seattle, WA

Ron Hill

Fulvio : I have no personal experience with either of the companies you mention.  Why don't you try the Bushings or Driveline mounts and report back to this form on your results?  
    I'm sure that they are a reasonable products.  Just make sure that the mounts will go under your engine and can hold the weight/torque.  You might want to check to see if the lag bolts holes that hold the mount to the bed are similar (or redrill).  Do your homework first and then talk to some of their engineers.  

Catalina uses whatever the mounts are that're supplied by the engine manufacturer.  In your case (C34) you could order some new mounts from Universal/Westerbeake.  Good Luck.   :wink:
    Ron, Apache #788

David Sanner

The aquadrive mounts look similar to the vetus... the other
    mounts you listed look like less rubber and similar to what
    came stock on my 1988 c34.

I went with the vetus K75 mounts because I wasn't ready to add a
    flex coupling to the shaft though I may at some point since
    I have a slight wiggle in the shaft log.  (either from alignment
    or from the shaft being slight bent - doesn't seem to be much of a
    problem, little to no vibration/noise, etc)   I might have been able to get away with K50's but didn't want to find out the hard way.

Anyway, the K75's bottom out slightly when the engine
    is stopping and if the idle RPM is set too low.  I heard the
    K50 can bottom out at idle in gear... but not sure if that's idle
    at 900, 1000... 1200+ rpm.  (I guess that also depends on how
    well your engine is running)

In gear at idle (@1000rpm) the K75 mounts work great and have helped
    far more to reduce noise than anything, including adding insulation.

I haven't been on board a c34 with K50 installed but
    when/if I do I'll report back.

Good luck... also, installing one at a time without moving
    the engine worked well for me...(see previous posts)

-d
    David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Philip Imhof

I have a couple of extra unused motor Vetus motor k_50 mounts for the our m25xp engine if anyone is interested.

Ron Hill

I'm not too sure about the bottoming out that Dave mentions.
    Vetus company recommends the K50 for the M25&35 Universal engines.  

As I previously mentioned I have K50s in the front and K75s in the rear.  Like Phil I have an extra set of 4 new K75s for $50.    :wink:
    Ron, Apache #788

David Sanner

Perhaps bottoming out isn't the best term... but there were a few posts
    about people having hard knocking sounds in gear at low rpm's.

Some were caused by engines not running so smoothly.
    http://www.c34.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1344

Also... as far as specs on the mounts George posted this info:
    http://www.c34.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=235
    Here's my calculations:
    Eng Lbs HP ratio RPMs ft Max Load
    M25 285 20 1.8 800 1.67 141.13
    M25XP 285 23 1.8 800 1.67 151.61
    It looks like all exceed the Max load for the K50 (112)

So... I played it safe with the K75's.  If anyone has their boat
    near SBH in SF with a set of K50 mounts stop on by and we can
    try and do a comparison.

Certainly there is a consensus on this board that everyone who
    has installed either the K50, K75 or a mix has been happy and
    wouldn't go back to the original mounts.  (though some had a
    tough transition)
    David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Ron Hill

Dave,  I just looked at Georges calculations and if they are correct then Vetus is screwed up.  I believe that the "knocking" at low rpm is caused by lateral vibration and that the for/aft is no problem.  You also wouldn't believe how new/rebuilt injectors will smooth out an engine.
    There are 2 Leo's at Vetus, guess it depends which one you're talking to!!
    At any rate it appears that the K75 is a better mount for the M25XP - I'll do the calculations myself when I get back home next month.  thanks  :oops:
    Ron, Apache #788

Randy Stolze

Ron,

I'll take those mounts off your hands.

Fair Winds & following seas!

Randy
    Randy

fulvio

QuoteI have a couple of extra unused motor Vetus motor k_50 mounts for the our m25xp engine if anyone is interested.

Phil, I'll take those, if you still have them.  Contact me here with the private message button.

Thanks
    929 Soliton 1989
    Seattle, WA

Randy Stolze

Folvio,

I defer to your prerogative to purchase the K75 mounts from Ron. I did not mean to jump into your thread but could not resist the urge after looking at Ron's offer posted for a day with no response.

Smooth Sailing...

Randy
    Randy

fulvio

no need to fight over them, but I am indeed about ready to purchase a set of mounts, so I will take Ron up on his offer if you don't.

Thanks!
    929 Soliton 1989
    Seattle, WA

La Luna

Quote from: RonI'm not too sure about the bottoming out that Dave mentions.
    Vetus company recommends the K50 for the M25&35 Universal engines.  

As I previously mentioned I have K50s in the front and K75s in the rear.  Like Phil I have an extra set of 4 new K75s for $50.    :wink:

Hi Ron,

So far your advice has been right on the money, so here we go with the next project.  

Mom says the noise and vibration below are too much so off we go to the land of motor mounts to start.  I have a 1991 Mk 1 with the M35.  K75's or 50's? You probably sent your K75's off already but if not, I will take them.  Here in Canada they are a bit of a premium but worth it if Mom and 7mos old Sophia are happier.  My mechanic agrees with your assessment of keeping the rpms up . As the universal fellow in Vancouver he is keen to keep the RPMs up and says the engine will last longer if we simply switch in and our of neutral when docking (like the ferries do I guess).

My first step will be to replace the mounts but next will come the coupling.  I looked at the vetus flex coupling but it seems awfully long.  I have the other articles from Tech Notes etc, but I wondered if you replaced the coupling first, the mounts or both at the same time?  I will also be hauling to put the dripless stuff into the shaft.  Green Goop or Gortex, your preference or advice would be appreciated??

I realise this is a lot of questions but hey, I appreciate the forum allowing me to seek info so please bear with me.  I have done much to La Luna in the past year and the love affair continues with the C34.  Best boat in 30 years of sailing and I have raced and sailed quite a few.  

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Daniel Kuhn
    La Luna

Soon to Be  renamed Sophia (after our daughter)

Steve Hansen

In researching engine mounts, I came across this company. Looks interesting. This will most likely be next springs project for me. I'll let everyone know how they work out then.

http://www.evolutionmarine.com/detail.html?id=3003&cart=11261950677493304

Steve
    Steve Hansen
    Georgia Peach 1987 #349
    Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
    Universal M25XP

Ron Hill

Dan : I've got K50's on the front and K75's on the rear.  If I were you I'd go for K75's as I don't think Vetus will split a set of 4.  

On the Drippless packing - The Goretex is NO CONTEST over the West Marine green goop.  I'm one of the few people that have used both and the Goretex is SUPER, much easier to install and lasts longer.   :thumb:
    Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Tancock

I installed the K50s as recommended on this site. Huge difference and no regrets or problems with them. Noise reduced and vibration gone.
    The knocking at low RPM was a bother......but when I went below to figure out where it was coming from I was suprised to find out that it was actually my muffler box banging around as the screws holding it down had worked themselves loose. I was sure it was the engine banging against the struts somewhere from the sound of it, but tightening the screws eliminated it all together.
    Jeff Tancock
    Stray Cat #630
    Victoria, BC
    Canada
    1988 25xp