Aft Cabin Hatches

Previous topic - Next topic

HydroTherapy

Hello,

I was having a leak somewhere through the two aft hatches.  I thought the easiest fix was to change the gasket.  I ordered the 512 for the Beckson.  I found the gasket difficult to insert and just wanted to make sure it did it right.

1) I had to use liquid soap in order to insert the gasket.  Is that OK?

2) There was a piece of plastic that only fit on the bottom half of the opening and went into the inside grove.  It looks like the bottom half of a screen without the screen. (Do you follow?)  Is that part of the window or is it a broken piece from the previous owner?

Thanks for the help.

David

Ron Hill

David : Besides soap another way to help slide a gasket on is to spray it with silicone.  
It's been a number of years since I've had one of those aft cabin windows apart, but I don't remember a 1/2 piece of anything.

One of the tricks that I use is before dismantling something like that window, is I go to West Marine/Boat US and look at a new one in a box.  That way I can see how it goes together/apart.  They'll usually let you open one to examine.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

David

Yes, they are a difficult fix, I just did one.  The instructions that came with the gaskets are quite clear.  While mine are on the boat, I remember them suggesting to NOT use anything to "assist" in the installation, other than cleaning out the groove.  They recommended stretching the gaskets first.  I did that, but overdid it and had to take it out and start all over!  My fingers still hurt (and I have 5 more to go!).  I just followed their instructions, and the ones in the box with the new gaskets are a bit different than the ones on Beckson's website.  You'll feel better knowing they are in right and will last for another six years.  Just don't tightn the clamps too tight or you'll just crush the new gaskets.

There shouldn't be anything in the groove, just air.  The black plastic you mentioned could have been the frame from an old screen.  My PO had all the screens in the ports, but there are still 8 black plastic "rings" sitting in one of our drawers - I still haven't figured out what they are for.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

HydroTherapy

Thanks Ron and Stu for the insight.  I will take out the plastic piece and see how it goes.

David
:thumb: