Prop removal

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Hanson

I plan on going to the boat this weekend and was wondering if anyone has a trick for removing a three blade prop without renting a puller.

Randy Stolze

Bruce,

The following worked for me.

Remove the cotter pin back off the nut a little but don't take it off. Try tapping with a piece of hard wood after heating around the hub with a propane tourch.Don't overdo the hammer. More heat is better than rapping too hard on the shaft which is connected to the transmission.

Randy
Randy

Ron Hill

Bruce : If your prop has never been off in the last few years -- you'll wish that you had rented/borrowed a 3 bladed prop puller!!   
Try the torch, just be careful not to damage the prop, strut or shaft.   :roll:
Ron, Apache #788

Howard Armstrong

I agree. i pulled mine, to replace the prop, and it had just been off. i would not want to try it without a puller. i built my puller in an hour or so.

Ken Juul

The "Auto Zone" chain of car parts stores has a good tool loan program.  If you have a store in your area they might have a gear puller that is big enough for the prop.  You have to leave a deposit that is refunded when you bring to tool back.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Kyle Ewing

When I pulled my prop, I used a reversible three jaw wheel puller, maybe $15 at an auto parts store.  I placed a coin between the end of the shaft for the puller to push against to keep from deforming the shaft.  By the way, I used a steering wheel puller to help remove the coupler from the transmission end of the prop shaft.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/