Jib Halyard chafe

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Martinson

I am getting ready to launch and the yard just put my mast out.  I notice that the jib halyard was chafed near a vertical block attached to the mast near the top  (when the sail is hoisted).  I don't have a manual and am not sure that the block is supposed to be there although it seems it would help with alignment if it doesn't cause a chafing problem.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Can anyone confirm that the block is supposed to be there or have any ideas on a fix....thank you - any help or suggestions are much appreciated.
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945

SteveLyle

If you've got a roller/furler, the block's probably been added as a wrap-preventer.  It's a block on the mast that the halyard is fed through so that the halyard doesn't parallel the stay - it comes in at an angle to it, minimizing the probability of the halyard wrapping around the stay when you furl the jib.

I don't know how it can be causing chafe if it's installed correctly.

Steve

Roc

Does the block spin freely??  Maybe it's jammed and that's why you're getting chafe.  The other thing to look at is the alignment of the block, is it free to swivel to align itself with the halyard or is the swivel jammed??  I would look  to see if anything is impeding the proper movement of the block or swivel.  The other thing I am thinking is are you sure it's this block or is the chafe coming from another point of contact??
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Chris : I think if you check your roller furling manual you'll find that as Steve mentioned, you need a specific angle for the halyard to attach to the top of the upper furling mechanism ( other than paralleling the head stay).
As Roc said, you might inspect that block especially the sheave for sharp/rough edges.    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Chris Martinson

Thank you for your ideas and help- I'll check the alignment and also the sheave at the top of the mast.  The "alignment" block is fixed with sides - it doesn't swivel or move...I thought the halyard might be chafing on the metal sides of the block....it seemed odd to me that the block would be fixed to the mast with, although smooth, edges....from the responses it seems this alignment block should move...is that the general opinion?  thanks again
Chris Martinson
More Therapy
1989 Hull # 945

Stu Jackson

Chris

I suggest that you check out Harken's website.  They have a very good description with pictures of the halyard wrap-stop concept of the block that you can use to determine your own setup.  Your description was good, and Steve's response identified what we think the issue is for you.  If you check it out, you'll understand it more completely.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Chris,
I don't think a block designed for alignment should move necessarily.  On the contrary, something that is made for alignment should be stationary, you would think.  I once had a block that didn't spin freely and the sheave was noticeably worn away at the point were the line passed over it.  It was acting more like a fairlead than a block.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD