Keel Bolt

Previous topic - Next topic

HydroTherapy

Hello All,

I have a small crack on the forward aspect of my keel/hull.  Two questions regarding this:

1) Can I patch it with Marine Tex?

2) If my keel bolt is loose, what size is it.  I want to bring a wrench and make sure it is tight.

I did a search before this question and it was mentioned that it is unlikely that water is getting in through to bolts.  Any new info on this subject.  My keel is always wet.  I tried to "taste" the water and it was plan old GROSS!  Not sure what kind of water it is.  I think some is coming down the mast.  It anybody wants to address that also it would be great.

Mike Smith

David -

That is the infamous "Catalina Smile" - a small crack where the forward upper aspect of the keel joins the hull.  Do a search on "Catalina Smile" and "keel bolt torque" Select the "Search for all terms" button when you do the search.  You will get all the information you need.  If you have a keel stepped mast, you will always have a wet bilge - rain comes down the inside of the mast when it rains.

Mike

Ron Hill

David : The cause of that crack(Catalina smile) is caused by improper blocking.  The factory will tell you that roughly 75% of the boat's weight (on the hard) should be on the keel and 25% on the jack stands.  If you have a wing keel more of that 75% should be on the nose of the keel that the aft portion.
I've written a number of articles in the Mainsheet Tech notes and Board posts on my keel tightening tool and tightening those nuts.  As I recall the socket is a 1 1/4" and it's a 4 " deep well.
The crack is cosmetic - if your keel nut are tight.  Your rain water in the bilge is most likely coming down the inside of the mast and or packing gland (salt water).  Take some dishwasher detergent (low/no sudsing) and really clean out your bilge.  
Only with a fairly clean bilge can you determine if the water is fresh or salt.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

HydroTherapy

Thanks for the info.

We are going to have a nice weather in the Northeast so I can get some work done.  I go in the water next weekend.

David