Bleeding secondary fuel filter

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

I appear to have small amounts of fuel leaking from my secondary fuel filter cannister. I have tightened the filter so I don't think it is the connection to the block. Has anyone experienced a leak from the joint between the body of the filter and the screw on top?

Since I have to change it regardless, I did a search on the bleed technique. I could not find a definitive answer re whether or not the fuel pump would purge the air from the new secondary filter on its own (with the filter bleed screw open) or whether I have to purge air from further along in the system as well.

Has anyone with a M35B done this job?
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Stu Jackson

John

Haven't had a leak there.  New leak on old filter or new leak on new filter?  Remember to lube the O ring and threads with diesel or oil before installing a new filter.  

On my M25, the nut on the top of the filter housing is THE place to get the air out of the system.  I do not fill the secondary (engine mounted) filter with fuel, since it is a bear to get back there and put a strap wrench on it, no less getting my hand in to get the threads started.  If it is empty, I can't spill any fuel.  It is difficult to avoid spilling fuel when I remove the old one.

Once the new clean secondary filter is on, I just open that bolt, run the electric fuel pump by turning on the key switch at the panel, wait till the air is gone, close the bolt, and I'm done.  Even opening the knurled knob is unnecessary, sometimes. It never hurts to crack it but only after the bolt on the secondary filter housing is dispensing fuel.  I tried just the knurled knob, but that didn't work. Shucks!  But the bolt on the filter housing is relatively easy to get to with a long extender on a socket or just a combination wrench (9/16 sockets, better with a combination wrench).  I wrote more details up on "bleeding" earlier.  

The fuel pump will pump through BOTH the Racor AND the secondary filter.  I re-plumbed our Racor to be ahead of the electric fuel pump on the fuel line from the tank.

I would normally just cut & paste the direct URL on the search for "bleeding" for you, but for some reason, the way this board is working recently, is that I can get the search result up on the screen, but the URL ends with "=results" and NOT the actual WYSIWYG.  So if I paste that, you don't get the search results.  I have to go into one specific post from the array from the search, and can get that URL, but not the full search result.  Sorry.  If you just try the search, on "bleeding" you'll find all of  those posts.

This is one of them:  www.c34.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1431&highlight=bleeding
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."