broken prop

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard Armstrong

I was on the way down the inter coastal last Saturday and hit a submerged object. it broke on prop blade off. the question is prop size and kind. i think it is a 15inch right handed prop with a 1 inch shaft size. i want to go back with the three blade fixed prop. has anyone used the Campbell prop and if so what size did it take and also the pitch. i sent in a form to them but the size looks very small compared to what i have now. also if someone has found the best prices this would help too. thank you for any help provided.  i have a 1988 c34 with the 25xp
Howard

Ron Hill

Howard : There have been a number of posts ref. a Campbell prop on this message board.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

I am very happy with mine.   Norm at www.westbynorth.com was extremely helpful. tel: (604) 506-2032.  Because of the dynamic shape of the blade it gets a huge bite of water.  Norm recommends a 14 x 8 prop for the 25xp.  I am having some power issues so I can't spin it at full rpm.  Most I can get is 2600 rpm, I am going to confirm the pitch is correct and then start troubleshooting the engine.  Don't think you want anything bigger.  The shaft is 1 inch, standard taper.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jon Schneider

OMG, why would you ever put a three-blade fixed prop on a sailboat?  If you want the power of a three-blade, consider a flex-o-fold folding prop.  It's only about $1,200 and it'll make a huge difference.  Otherwise, go with a fixed two blade.  Probably should be a 15x9RH.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA