Crusing chute

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark G

I am looking for recommendations on a cruising chute. 1991 tall rig, wing keel. What's my mast height above the deck? Which company have you had good experience with in purchasing a package deal with chute, dousing sock, etc.? Thanks so much.

Stu Jackson

You should be able to find your mast height by going to the main website, "C34 Home" upper right hand corner of this board, and click on Brochures.  The dimensions are located on the brochures.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

Mark,

I've had good luck with Doyle here in Chicago, but I think the key is to work with a local sail maker for the best service.  If you're asking about the mast height for buying the sail you won't need that info.  Any decent sail maker should have all the dimensions needed  for the C34.  If the sail maker you talk to doesn't have the info I'd talk to another one.  Just my 2 cents...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Mark : If you're looking for a spinnaker with a "dousing chute" - I'd go out to 5 different sail makers with the SAME specifications of what you want(not the luff length) and see what prices you get back.  Just state C34 Tall rig.
When I say your specs, I mean something like cruising or racing, nylon cloth weight, special sail design, chute included, spinnaker bag, etc.  Also look at the Chicago boat show
You've got time as spring is still many weeks away.  You'll be surprised at the range of prices that you get back.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Bob Kuba

I purchased this cruising chute from the Sail Warehouse as a kit, for just under $1,800.00 a couple of years ago.  It came with:

an ATN dousing sock,
2 turning blocks for the sheets,
2 lightweight sheet lines,
a tack line,
the ATN roller furling collar (large),
a block for the crane at the top of the mast,
and the halyard.

but no instructions. UK Sailmakers has a great video that teaches you how to fly a cruising chute. They call theirs the "Flasher", but it's still the same technique.

I had my choice of Red & White, or Blue & White. The sail is pretty durable, and has taken a beating over the last two years. I ripped the foot seam one day when it snagged on a cleat for the flag halyard on the starboard spreader. I was able to restitch it, and it's holding up well.

http://thesailwarehouse.com/

The mast on my 1994 standard rig was already set up for an internal spinnaker halyard. The halyard exits the lower portion of the mast on the port side a little higher than the boom, and is tied it off to a cleat on the mast. The upper exit point is just above the spreaders, and it goes up to a turning block (supplied) that's attached to a spinnaker "crane" that was already at the top of the mast. The crane is just a hoop that allows the block to pivot, port and starboard, out ahead of the roller furling. When not in use, the halyard snap shackle is the clipped either to the bow pulpit, or the cabin top handrail. If you decide to clip it to the bow pulpit, make sure it's taught while you're flying your normal roller furling headsail. If it's loose, It's easy to get it wrapped up in the headsail roller furling when you're rolling the headsail back up! Not good.

The sheets are run through blocks (supplied) that have snap shackles at the base, and I just snap to the aft stern cleat(s), and then run the sheet forward to the jib sheet winches. Some people install dedicated pad-eyes as attach points for the blocks, and if you want to drill more holes in your decking, that certainly is an option. But the stern cleats work good, and the angles are perfect as the sheet comes back from the corner of the spinnaker, through the block, and then up to the winch.

The tack line that allows the tack of the spinnaker to be raised up or down, attaches to the atn tack collar, then runs down to a block (not supplied) that's attached to the anchor roller hoop, and then run straight back to the small cabin top winch on the port side.

The easiest way to douse it is by blanketing the sail behind the main on a broad reach and "blowing the tack". In other words leave the sheet trimmed in and release the tack connection. (Easy if the tack is a snap shackle) This allows the sail to fly out in front of the main and it's held in place by the sheet, where it can be easily snuffed down with the sock at the leeward rail. All that remains is to open the v-berth hatch and lower the sock with the enclosed chute, down into the boat with the halyard, to be packed away later.

Bob Kuba
Quiet Island
#1291  1994
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

Bob Kuba

I forgot to mention, that if you have all the hardware already, the price for just the sail was $1,235.00

The specs are:

Luff     43.0 ft.
Leech  38.7 ft.
Foot     24.0 ft.
1.5 oz. nylon

and a sail bag comes with it, as it did in the package. Hope this helps.

Don't forget...

Catalina will be hosting Owner's Appreciation parties at Strictly Sail Chicago and Strictly Sail Miami. The parties will celebrate two new boats, Catalina Sport 22 and the Catalina / Morgan 440, being added to the Catalina fleet.

Strictly Sail Chicago
Dates: Feb 3 - Feb 6th

Owner's Appreciation Party: Saturday Feb 5th  7:00 PM

Boats on Display:
Cat-14.2
Cat-16.5
Catalina/Capri 22
Cat-28 Anniversary Edition
Cat-310
Cat-320
Cat-34
Cat-350
Cat-387
C/M - 440

Dealers Representing Catalina Yachts:
Nestegg - Marionette Wisconsin
Sun & Sail - Mt. Clemens Michigan
Sail Place - Cedar Springs Michigan
Sail Place - Waukegan Michigan
Sailboat House - Westport Wisconsin

Maybe we'll see you there.
Bob & Cheryl Kuba
Quiet Island
#1291  1994
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

Mark G

Thanks for the info, guys. We plan to be at Strictly Sail in Chicago and will try to make the purchase there. --Mark

pklein

I sold my C-34 tall rig last fall and still have the cruising chute which is in excellent condition.  It's a U/K and comes with a Chute Scoop and turtle.  If you haven't purchased one and are interested in a like new chute, let me know.  I'm in the North Suburbs of Chicago and store my boat in Racine.  email if you wish to pklein@nospaminteraccess.com.  Remove nospam from address shown.