Seaward Engine Instrument Panel replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

My next project is to replace the existing instrument panel frame with the Seward "box" housing ( www.seawardproducts.com )  It looks like a straightforward installation.  Has anyone done this?

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

[This message was edited by Mike Smith "Breezer" C34 '88 #688 on April 25, 2003 at 05:29 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mike Smith "Breezer" C34 '88 #688 on April 25, 2003 at 05:30 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mike Smith "Breezer" C34 '88 #688 on April 25, 2003 at 05:31 AM.]

[This message was edited by Mike Smith "Breezer" C34 '88 #688 on April 25, 2003 at 05:32 AM.]

Jim Price

I replaced mine with new panel from Seward.  Just called them and matched up correct pannel.  Best part was getting rid of all the Push to Reset breakers that were sticking (or not working) on the AC side.  They asked what I wanted, filled the pannel with extra breakers at no cost.  One note, you may have one of the large amp breakers in your old panel for the anchor winch.  The new panels will not carry that size breaker.  I just purchased separate breaker that I mounted in locker wall next to panel.  Actually is safer as no one ever flips that sucker accidently and creates havock not planned.  By the way, installation of new panel was a very easy - don't forget to tag an locate ALL the ground wires (missed one).  Also, for first time ever - all the idiot lights actually work!
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Mike Smith

Thanks, Jim -

Actually, I'm interested in replacing the engine control panel and frame in the cockpit with the new "box" arrangement from Seaward, not the electrical distribution panel at the nav station.  However, since I was able to eliminate two 12vdc power cables when I installed my angled pedestal guard, that will free up two breakers on the distribution panel.

Mike

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Jim Price

That is why Mom told me to never read this stuff late at night when I am on the road!  My fault, but I will admit that the ELECTRICAL panal upgrade is really great and should be considered a must for the older boats.  Mainly for us old guys, you get rid of the black with "red" backlighting panal and replace with shiny new WHITE with LARGE BLACK lettering panel that you can actully read from the dinnett, even at night!
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Mike Smith

OK, I'm ordering the new Seaward panel w/instruments for my Perkins M30 today.  The only unknown is the style of box to purchase for the panel.  On older boats there was only a frame which was mounted on the cockpit coaming to which the panel was then attached.  On newer boats there is a fiberglass box available that is installed first to protect the wiring and instruments I guess, then the frame is mounted over the box, then the panel is mounted in the frame.  The box can be retrofitted to older boats. There are two styles of box, one for installation on angled coamings, and another for flat coamings - this may be specific for Mark I or Mark II boats. Of course, I have a Mark I. I know this is a common upgrade project, but I can't find a write-up on the discussion board, under Projects, or in the tech notes.  If anyone has done this upgrade, I'd sure like to hear from you!

Mike

Jeff Tancock

I did the replacement last year. Pretty straight forward. Mine is a 1988 (#630) so no box, just a piece of plastic. Take out your old panel, disconnect the wires and take the panel below or even home to switch over all the gauges etc. New one is white instead of silver. Looks much better. Also had them include a new ignition switch for mine. No more separate glow plug button as it works off the ignition key. Just call Sayward (I think it's Dennis?) and describe your existing panel. Email me if you have any questions. I may be able to find the part no. if you are having trouble.
Jeff
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Mike Smith

Jeff -

I'm buying everything new and assembled from Seward as a package with a wiring harness included for a direct swapout.  If the box is available, I'd like to get it - I just don't know which of the two styles I need to fit Breezer - all the info I had was lost in the hurricane.  Dennis is very helpful.

Mike

Mike Vaccaro

Mike,

I would maintain the box for our boats is over-kill.  The panel is still exposed on the exterior side, and the interior side is well protected as currently installed.  The box won't help with preventing water intrusion (if it's up to the gunwhale, you've got bigger problems!).

We haven't replaced the panel, but have replaced the harness and numerous instruments and switches.  Looked a complete replacement and also looked at the box you refer to before coming to that conclusion.  

Cheers,

Vac
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Mike Smith

Thanks, Vac!

As always, your input is much appreciated!  I think I'll skip the box.

Mike

Ron Hill

Mike : I replaced my engine instrument panel back in 1991/2?  I also tried to make it more weather resistant by:
1.  Installing waterproof caps on all of the switches/fixtures such as the ignition key switch, starter switch, blower toggle switch and my engine hi-temp press to test switch (my invention).
2.  I made a new full clear plastic full cover for the entire panel front ( replacing Catalina's 2/3 cover - bottom open).  I drilled 3/4" holes in the Lexan for the key, starter, blower and hi-temp switches.  It's slotted for the engine fuel cut-off.
3.  I made a sunbrella cover (used when the boats not in use) to keep the UV off of the clear plastic, switch covers and the panel.  Attaches with Velcro strips (fuzzy side on the boat).

All my fixes seem to keep the majority of the weather off of the panel and switches.  A few thoughts.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Smith

Thanks, Ron -

Great idea - I have Sunbrella everywhere on Breezer, and I wish I had started covering more things up with it before.

Mike

Stu Jackson

Jim and Mike

"Mainly for us old guys, you get rid of the black with "red" back-lighting panel and replace with shiny new WHITE with LARGE BLACK lettering panel that you can actually read from the dinette, even at night!"

Ha ha!  There's yet a THIRD type, which we call the "Confederate Money Panel."

That's the old tan with white lettering with, get this, FUSES!!!   :oops:

They're so old that they're actually coming back in style!  Retro, you know.  Like a good wine...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Stu : Engine instrument panel??  :?:  The 1986 and 1987 boats all came with a bronze colored Main Instrument Panel (above the Nav table) that had the circuits FUSED.  Circuit breakers were introduced in 1988.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron

Nope, the main electrical panel was what that quote was from from earlier in the thread.  See my topic on the post: Electrical Panel Vintages.  

I have the same cockpit engine control panel you do, but without your great upgrades.  We, too, however, keep it covered with a snap on sunbrella cover.  Makes a BIG difference.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."