Sailing Performance

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Butler

Having now owned Wildflecken (#1023, 1990, std rig, fin keel) for a year, and reading everything I could get about sailing performance, particularly off-shore, we have just returned from a 3 week sail in the Florida Keys and have some numbers.  Off Ft Lauderdale, in 8 to 10 foot seas and 30 knot winds almost dead astern, the boat was easily managable under only a double reefed main, reaching 6.8 to 7.1 knots.  Off Key Largo, in 5 foot seas and 20+ knot winds, the boat went 35 degrees to windward, at 4.7 knots, again under only a double reefed main, with very little (5 degrees) of weather helm.  In both instances, the auto-pilot had no difficulty in keep on course...with us at the ready.  We were constantly amazed at how well the boat handled, how relatively dry she stayed, and how "solid" she felt.  We are certainly pleased with our purchasing decision and hope to be back aboard (in more pleasant conditions!) this summer.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

PAUL T.

A friend of mine called me a few days ago from CABO SAN LUCAS.  He encountered  a 36 hour storm with winds 60+ knots. He was in a group of five boats . he was single handing. one of the other boats was dismasted. A cruise ship hailed him on the radio to see if he was OK. He was just fine. He said the boat handled great although he blew out his headsail. Just thought I would share this example of how great our boats are........PAUL