Handrail covers

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

G'Day Mates!

Sometime in the recent past I saw an ad for Sunbrella covers for our coachtop teak handrails. The covers fit over the handrail and attach by snaps in the loop area, and are also called "spats".  I have searched through all my recent back issues of Sail, Crusing World, and The Mainsheet, but I cannot find this ad.  I searched the discussion board for past discussion of this topic.  Does anyone have any information on the company who makes these covers?  I want to compare the cost of ordering them ready made vs having my canvas shop make them.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Mike

Ron Hill

Mike : I'm not a super seamstress, but I made mine over 18years ago.  Used velcro, but I may replace that with metal fasteners this winter - the same Sunbrella is still OK !!   :!:
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Johnson

Hey Mike,

Try standoutyachtfittings.com, that might be the company you saw.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

dave davis

MIKE, YOU MIGHT WISH TO CONTACT THESE PEOPLE, THEY DID A NICE JOB ON MY TEAK HAND RAILS. THEY INCLUDED BOTH THE SHORT RAIL AND THE LONG ONE ALSO.
http://www.northbeachmarinecanvas.com/
GOOD lUCK, DAVE
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Mike Smith

Thanks for all the info... I ordered a set from Stand Out Yacht Fittings today!

Mike

steve stoneback

I also just ordered a set.  I really like brightwork, but sailing is much more fun.  Hopefully these will reduce the time spent on sanding and varnishing.
sps
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

kss1220

I made my set with twist stainless fastners in the center of the hand loops.  I also sewed in an extension to cover the teak eye brows and inserted lead fishing weight at the bottom to keep it in place.  Works great and looks great as well.  I am getting 3 years without having to recoat the varnish. If you have sewing machine it is a rather simple project you can take on yourself. 

Good luck, Kelly

Mike Smith

I got my "grab rail spats" as they are called today from StandOutYachtFittings.com and installed them on Breezer in about five minutes.  I'm very impressed - they fit perfectly right out of the box and look great.  Highly recommended!

Mike