Maximum Passengers

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Blumenfeld

I using my boat in a holiday parade.  What is the maximum number of passengers or weight the boat can reasonably handle in the harbor?
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

captran

We have had seven aboard for 8 days including 2 months worth of food, pop, beer and spares.  If you have life jackets for all, I imagine you could easily double that, although you won't win any races. :lol:
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Jim Price

If you use the calculation based on length X Beam / 15 you would get an answer of 26 passengers (@ 150 lbs each - I don't have any 150 lb friends).  If you assume average person is 200 lbs then the answer is about 19-20.  I would only approach that number if motoring in a parade, not with any sails up.  It will be crowded and highly likely with that many on board, someone is going to get wet.  Must have life jackets for ALL or potentially pay the fine.

Happy partying and be safe.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Paul Blumenfeld

Thanks for the formula Jim.   No sails will be up and the water is calm. 20-26 does seem quite a few though.  I think I may try about 15 and it will be a BYOL,(bring your own lifejacket).  Boating is expensive enough without trying to get a fine.
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Ron Hill

Paul : Better recheck the regulations (Federal, State and local).  There may be an age that the person must be wearing the PFD, not just have it on board!!  
Had a friend get a $75 fine because he got caught rowing his dink from the dink rack to his slip and didn't have a PFD with him!!  That was a real bummer.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788