What Is It? (Wheel Nut Puller)

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMERY

When I bought my 1990 Catalina 34 used in 1998 I found an interesting item in one of the drawers that I've yet to identify. It's a piece of teak plywood with white laminate on one side. It's about 8" long and shaped like a sling shot (Y Shape). At first I thought it was a one of a kind item, until I walked down the dock and saw another 34 using it to brace open their forward hatch. I asked the person what its original use was. There response was I have no idea, but it's been on the boat since new. Does anyone else have this item on their boat and know what it's used for?

As Always Thanks In Advance,

Dave

mike lofstrom

I believe that you are looking at the "wrench" for your edson wheel.  The nut that holds the wheel on can be damaged by using a regular wrench, so they provide the "slingshot"  to tighten the nut without marring the finish.  It works reasonably well as long as the wheel nut has been greased.  If not, they can bind up and the wooden  "wrench" becomes useless.

Mike

Jim Price

Mike, you get a Gold Star :lol: for this one.  I am embarrassed to say that after having the our boat for nearly three years, I gave up on "what it is" but I never threw it away.  The PO did not remember and I found no one else.  MYSTERY SOLVED  :!:  :!:
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

DEMERY

Wow, the knowledge of this group never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for your answer, I can now amaze my fellow Catalina dock mates with my new found knowledge.

Thanks, Dave

Ken Juul

At least your previous owners kept it!  I've always been leery of the wheel falling off with only a hand tight nut.  One of those bothersome things I find myself checking several times a day.  Be nice to have the correct tool to relieve some worry.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Ken

On the other hand, I have a friend with a C34 who can't get his wheel OFF!!!

I keep checking my wheel nut regularly.

Don't let the nut holding the wheel get tight!!!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

I think Edson has a replacement for the nut holding on the wheel.  I believe it's a large knurled knob that you can tighten with your hand.  I've always thought about getting one because I too also find myself trying to tighten the wheel all the time.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Roc

It just isn't worth it.  Check out the cost.  All it will do is spin off the same way your existing nut does.  It's the same thread inside.

Either live with it (as I've learned to do) or find a way, like teflon pipe thread, to make it a tad tighter (which I've thought about but haven't done!).

Heck, it gives me something to do for the few minutes I'm behind the wheel when Graeme is steering (our autopilot).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

mike lofstrom

When  I bought my boat last year, the wheel nut was seized on the shaft.  the wooden wrench would not work so I had to use a big crescent wrench to get it off to fix the autopilot.  I actually like to have the nut a little on the loose side so I can get to the autopilot if needed.  One of these days I might try a little tiny dab of RTV on the threads to act as a thread lock.  I figure it is is soft enough to shear when the time comes to take the wheel off again.  As Stu mentioned, for now, I'm just in the habit of giving the nut a twist when I'm on the helm.

Mike

Roc

Stu,
I didn't state it in my previous post, but I agree, the cost is too high to buy the knurled knob.  I just tighten the wheel nut by hand all the time.  It kind of has become a habit.  If I did have the knob, I probably would always give it alittle twist every so often.   :D
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

...and all our onboard guests are wondering just what we're doing down there when we're standing behind the wheel.  :)

No wonder they think sailors are whacky!

Ken Juul

things must be really slow to get this many responses!  

Someone said that admitting weakness was a good thing....time for all you closet wheel nut checkers to get it off your chest! :D
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

APACHE

This is one of those questions that come up every 5 years and gets answered - needed or not.   :idea:

ross99

I agree we all have TOO MUCH TIME on our hands to keep talking about this, but here's my 2 cents:   I like having the helm nut  turning easily, because I often remove the wheel and bungee it to the stern pulpit to make extra room in the cockpit when we are tied up. The PO installed a big teak destroyer wheel, which is great underway but takes up a lot of room.  Also makes removing the autopilot belt easy.