Adjustable Split Backstay

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

I am considering having an adjustable split backstay installed on Breezer, but I don't want that hunk of stainless steel sheave so close to my head under tension! On the cover of the current Mainsheet (Aug '04), there is a good illustration of an adjustable split backstay with the fork substantially higher than my current backstay arrangement, but  I would want the sheave several feet further up the split.  Is this a stock or custom arrangment on this 1997 boat? If so, I wonder if it might be cheaper to buy one from Catalina than to have one fabricated locally.

Mike

APACHE

Mike : If you change the height of the split in your back stay, be sure to change the angle of your chainplates to the new split.  You must have a straight pull on the chainplates.
A thought.   :wink:

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

dave davis

Mike,  look real close at the backstay adjuster on "overkill" on the front cover of the August 2004 issue of the Mainsheet. Follow the back stay up about 20 feet and you will find the end of the backstay split. In order to contol it you have to pull a few miles of line at 8/1. In my opinion, it's too far up but the CY likes it that way.
On the ealier boats like mine and yours, it's too low. when you pull on it,  will come down to your ears.
Soo what I did was to shorten the Backstay about 2 feet and attach an 8/1 adjuster. which seems just about right.  :idea:
Maybe "overkill" will respond. I could not find him on our MB.
Good Luck
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Mike Smith

Thanks, Dave -

I thought it was too high too, I think your suggestion of about 2 feet is better. My rigger is coming up with a setup using my old 4:1 vang. I'll keep you posted.

Mike

APACHE

Mike : Have your "rigger" look at taking your old 4:1 and change it to an 8:1 - easy to do.  
A two foot increase in height will only change the angle a little, but even with a toggle it will NOT be a straight pull on the embedded back stay chainplates.   :!: