Leaking rudder post

Previous topic - Next topic

AnitaM

We have been informed by our marina service manager that our rudder has a leak along it's post. He seemed to think that little 1/4" wed blister were and indication. What causes this and how costly is it to repair. We have to wait until haulout to get an estimate. Has anyone else had this problem with their c34? Any info would be appreciated. Anita on Rio Blues. :roll:

APACHE

Anita : How did the marina manager find the leak in your rudder?  Did he pull the emergency tiller cap and find water in the column?   :?:

AnitaM

Hello Apache:
Our boat was on the cradle all winter. Just before launch day we were inspecting the hull and he noticed that along the flat part of the rudder there appeared to be a few wet blisters. His pronosis was a leaking rudder post. Is this common? How should it be treated? Thanks. Anita

Ron Hill

Anita : I'll guess that you have both blisters and a leaking rudder post.  Usually a leaking rudder column is identified by weeping rusty water stains down the sides of the rudder.
You'll need to dry out the rudder and then seal the area around where the top where the stainless column enters the rudder.  After the core is dry you'll need to gouge out the blisters and repair that area with epoxy filler.  Then you'll need a new barrier coat on the rudder and also inspect the hull for blisters.
None of this can be done until the rudder/core is dry.   :!:
Ron, Apache #788

AnitaM

Thanks for you input Ron,
We'll see how much the marina wants to do the job. Sound like you have to know what you're doing to tackle the job.

Ted Pounds

Anita,

I see you have the next boat after mine.  Is she a fin or a wing?  I had the same issue with my rudder.  I ended up having Catalina recast mine.  the cost is less than $700 plus a couple hundred for shipping each way.  The webbing on our rudders was made of regular steel that year.  When Catalina opened up my rudder they said the webbing was very rusted and they welded new stainless webbing to the post.  As an added bonus I got the new MK II rudder shape which performs much better in heavy air and seems have a little better control in reverse.  It costs a bit more than just patching up your rudder as is, but for the extra control and the peace of mind (knowing the rudder is structurally sound) I think recasting is the way to go.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

PAUL T.

Anita...... I hate to sound cynical but unless you know and trust the marina service manager, I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. One little blister by itself does not mean you have a leaky rudder post. I would consider paying a reputable marine surveyor for an hour of his time. I suggest you find a surveyor with no connection to the yard.........PAUL

AnitaM

Thanks everyone for your responses. It looks like we have a few options and need to do some research on this problem. We were a bit skeptical of the service manager's opinion and wanted to hear from anyone who had the same problem. We'll be checking with Catalina as well. Thanks, Anita

Ron Hill

Anita : When you pull the boat this fall you need to have someone (knowledgeable) inspect the rudder.  I don't have a high regard for surveyors, because I've seen some of the boats that they've "inspected".  You need to get one that gives a warrentee!!
If the rudder is leaking, that's easy to determine.  Pull the rudder cap and see if you've got water inside - not just condensation - a couple of inches of water.
Ted's idea of sending your rudder back to the factory was a great idea.  They no longer do that.  You might consider a new rudder, but that's about $1600 without shipping.
I'd get a couple of opinions on exactly HOW bad your rudder really is.
A few thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

Ron,

Are you saying Catalina doesn't do recsats anymore?  Because I had mine done this spring.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Ted : That's what Janet in Catalina Parts told me(a couple of weeks ago).  I was checking prices for an Mainsheet article that you'll see in the November issue.  It's titled "Make your own elliptical rudder".  :!:
Ron, Apache #788