Frustrations with new Vetus Engine Mounts

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 21, 2012, 05:30:46 PM
Dan : If rebuilding the injectors/new injectors doesn't solve the problem, then try the Vetus K75s (especially in the rear. 

I still have the original mounts on our engine.  It shakes and rattles.  Just like it SHOULD.  I can tell you which sound it makes that is incorrect. 

I can tell you whether it is a thrown coupling bolt(s) or a leaking stuffing box.  C'mon, each of us should be able t do that from the cockpit, unless you have a perfectly SILENT engine.

I do not think that the idea of having NO mounts is a bad one.  Heck, it ya get the alignment right, things should STAY that way, right?

I'm torn, since I've read so much about this issue.

I'm gonna spray some PB Blaster on the engine mounts tomorrow to really KILL them and I'll report back to you the results.

Stay tuned.   :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Indian Falls

Just to clarify:  I have K75's front and back.  As I mentioned in the other thread the old mounts are like rocks compared to the K75's.

Hopefully its only a matter of cleaning/ rebuilding the injectors.

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

cmyerchin

Seeing that some people were having row RPM issues even with the K75 mounts, I decided to switch brands.

I looked at both PYI R+D 800-040 and PolyFlex P#4.5CTF.  I contacted factory reps for both mounts.  Neither representative reported any known low RMP vibration issues with small 3 cylinder diesels.

I chose the PYI brand based on price.  $70 vs $150 per mount.

I'll update the post installed

hump180

Dan. Get some new injectors from tractor supply online. Takes half hour to change them...then you'll know. Get part # equivelant from this site.

Cmyerchin...looking forward to your report on the pyi mounts.

Bill
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Roland Gendreau

One more K75 experience to report.

I replaced my OEM mounts with K75's over the winter.

Yesterday, I fired the engine up and the improvement in smooth running was very pleasing.

At idle, there was no vibration at all transmitted to the hull.  For once, the pots and pans in the oven and the pot holders on the stove top did not rattle.  No shaking of the companionway ladder.

My engine has about 1200 hours on it and I believe it still has the original injectors.

The only thing about the project I did differently than most was to replace the mounts one at a time, which didn't require hoisting the engine.

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

cmyerchin

My project is finally done.  I replaced the Vetus K50 mounts with the PYI  800-040 mounts.  Overall I'm happy with new PYI mounts.  The low RPM shaking is gone.  This should keep my M25 engine running leak for the foreseeable future.  I'm glad I took on the job.

I can't really say if there is more or less overall vibration than before.  There is no way I can do a side to side comparison.

Install notes:

The new PYI mounts are longer than the Vetus mounts so I had to do a bit carpentry and fiberglass work to extend the mounting rails.

The PYI mounts are more mounting angle specific.  I needed to shim under the front mounts to ensure that the top plate and mount footing had equal spacing all the way around.

After the install, it's clear the majority of the M25 engine weight is supported by the front mounts.  It would be interesting to know how much.

Ron Hill

cmy : Check your model year date as the 1st C34 came out in 1986 !!
Ron, Apache #788

cmyerchin

As my first post stated, I have a Catalina 30 not a Catalina 34.  I've written of my experience here because this thread seems to have the most informative discussion of M25 engine mounts.

Indian Falls

CMY  how's it going with those new mounts?  I revisited this thread to ask a question.  How did you determine that the front mounts hold the majority of the weight?  This is contrary to the physics of two people carrying furniture upstairs... the guy on the bottom has the majority of the weight.  My engine is not level and I suspect the rear mounts carry a bit more weight than the front.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?