Drainage on deck

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Sedgwick

I just looked at a 1996 C34 Mk2 which had standing water on the deck on the port side near the toe rail adjacent to the head. Is this a know issue on the Mk2 or a problem with this boat? It appears that this area is unable to drain properly. My 1990 C34 has a drain in this area. I was thinking of making an offer but I would have to solve this problem first. I'd like to hear from Mk2 owners to see if this is a known problem.

Bill Sedgwick
SchatzSea #1031

Roc

Was the boat in the water or up on jack stands?? And how much water??  There are cut-outs in the toe rail sections that let water drain out from the deck.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Bill & JoAnn Sedgwick

Roc, the boat is in the water. The toe rail cut-out is ahead of the area where there's standing water. It doesn't drain to either the cut-out or the end. It probably isn't more than 1/4 inch at the deepest point, however the bases of the stantion near the head are wet and would be a leak risk. The only factor I can see is that the boat is empty since it is being shown by brokers.

Bill

rirvine

Bill:

What you have found is correct; the water does not drain completely from the deck near the toe rail on the port side near of the head.

Ray

Norris Johnson

I have the same problem.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

hdevera

I have hull number 1554 and have never noticed any water accumulating.  I probabaly have the same standing water, but it has never been an issue.  Below is dry and the boat has been in going on 4 northern california rainy winters.  I'd check for water stains and not worry about it.  I've not heard of anyone having problems related to the standing water that you describe.... but I could be wrong.

saltydog

My 1990 does same thing only on stbd side

hdevera

Jeff and Cindy,

Have you had any water getting below because of the standing water?

Bill Sedgwick

Jeff & Cindy,

My 1990 #1031 has a drain hole at the stanchion so it can't have water on the deck unless the hole is plugged. The 1996 doesn't have the drain hole. I suspect that your standing water is farther aft of the stanchion.

Bill Sedgwick
George W (Bill) & Jo Ann Sedgwick
SchatzSea #1031

beang

Freya’s (#1476) weather decks drain completely, albeit slowly.  I attribute this to the relative flat slope of weather deck in this area as well as a lot of gear â€" stanchion base, furling line, fairlead adjusting lines, etc. slowing down the flow.  My decks are dry within an hour of being washed or rained on so it’s no beig deal for me.  The biggest inconvenience is the grime that accumulates and doesn’t wash overboard.   I have had a leak at a chainplate, but never at a stanchion.  Is the stanchion base up against the toe rail, forming a dam?  You could probably improve drainage by beveling the stanchion’s toe rail edge with a flat file the next time you rebed the stanchions.  I don’t think there’s a problem here and it shouldn’t be a deal killer, but if it’s perceived as a problem, perhaps you can get some $ knocked off.  A bigger nuisance for me is the drain in the anchor locker which won’t allow the locker to completely drain and is a source of mold and mildew.  Again, these are relatively minor nuisances especially compared to a real problem like the ability to catch Crews Nest or Mottley on the race course.

saltydog

We have scupper (drain) at stantion, but trim of boat such that doesn't fully drain. Have had leakage below at stantion with stbd water tank vent - leaks into locker above ice box.
Jeff

shekinahsailor

My diesel mechanic teacher told me - "if you're going to worry about a little water in the boat, you shouldn't be boating!".  That maybe a little extreme.  I've had a little standing water on the port rail but no leakage yet.  I have had minor leakage from the chain plates on the starboard side but these were solved with simple rebedding

beang

I checked Freya last week, and sure enough, we get standing water there too (never noticed it before).  Starboard side drains completely however.  Next time we’re up we are going to check to see if the boat is resting level on her lines by placing a carpenter’s level across the companionway sill and deck then calculate the angle (if any).  Our mast is plumb, so this bears some further investigation.  If others will do this also, we can compare some data points.  I still think this is more of a nuisance than a “real” problem.  But I’m sure Gerry Douglas would appreciate our collective input.  Our old C28 didn’t rest level on her lines either, due mainly from the placement of tankage and aqualift all on the same side.  But that lean was real noticeable and did have some impact on performance.

Robert Savinell

I just bought my C34, hull number 1312, and noticed the same thing.  Also, water collects in the channels on each side of the companion way door.  Seems as though there is a design flaw or manufacturing flaw with the balance of the decks.  Even with a full aft water tank, it does not help.  However, if I stand on the boat near the wheel when first boarding, the water in the channels will drain.  I always need to warn others not to stand too close to the door, unless I want them to get wet.

Stu Jackson

Standing water on the port side.

Hmmm........

Finally - a good reason to learn to love the port list.

One man's complaint is another man's solution!

Robert, I'm not sure from your description exactly where your water is gathering, could you explain more?  On our Mk 1 boat the channels I understand and see are vertical and I wonder how water could be collecting there.  Thanks.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."