Prop Shaft

Previous topic - Next topic

sail4dale

Has Catalina ever furnished Stainless Steel prop shafts on 34's?

If so what numbers did they start (or end)?

Or was it only an option?

Has anyone experience with a bronze shaft and a Stainless prop?

Roc

My boat came new with a bronze shaft.  I believe all are made with bronze shafts.  I later replaced mine with a ss shaft, and kept my bronze 3 blade prop.  This is the opposite of your question, but I've had no problems with the bronze prop and ss shaft.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

burner

I should look closer at the board before posting.  I asked almost the same question.  I'm replacing my fixed two blade prop with a Geartec folding prop, but they now have available a ss folding prop.  Martec is somewhat suggesting that I stay with bronze if my shaft is bronze.  I'm leaning that way as well, but I'm not sure I'm right in thinking that way.  I feel that the stainless steel prop may cause some wear on the shaft if it's mated that way.  Maybe I'm overly paranoid.

Ray & Sandy Erps

I had a bronze prop on a stainless shaft on my old boat.  I eventually had to replace the prop due to electrolisis, but after 25 years of service.  I replaced it with another bronze prop. cuz I'm thrifty.  I think if you keep up on the zincs the issue is pretty neglible.  Ideally, all the metal underwater would have the same characteristics on the galvanic chart, but then we would put the zinc vendors out of business.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

tsoko

Steve,
You might want to consider the "stiffness" of a bronze shaft vs a SS shaft, especially if you are putting on  heavier-than-stock prop.  I'm not an expert, but from personal experience, my old bronze shaft wasn't up to the task with a heavier autoprop.  A new SS shaft has been great. I've been told the bronze shafts flex more than the SS ones, and unless your prop is perfectly balanced (are any of them?), you will have more vibration.  I've also been told by a dealer that all Catalinas up through the 36 are shipped with bronze shafts (don't know about the 350).  It's that production/$$ thing.  $100 vs $200 per boat adds up over time.

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

Mixing bronze and stainless mearly leads to a better battery!  If there is an engineering reason to switch to stainless (i.e., bearing wear, recommended by prop manufacturer, etc.), it makes sense to switch.  Corrosion is further inhibited by electrically isolating the shaft from the transmission.  This is normally accomplished with some type of flexible coupling that is designed to ensure that there is no metal to metal contact (example:  Vetus Bullflex coupling).  Bronze is the the most corrosion resistant material for underwater use, better than stainless which doesn't perform as well when submerged.  On the other hand, stainless is stronger and less resistant to bearing wear.  Regardless, the proper use of zincs and regular maintenance will normally spare you any problems.  It would be nice if you could simply bolt on the prop and not worry about it, but that's just not the case--perhaps the best analogy is the tires on your car.  They are low maintenance, but they do require some attention and eventual replacement.

Merry Christmas!

Mike

burner

Thanks everyone for your replies to my question.  Unfortunately it looks as it may be a moot point anyway.  My marina called me early this morning, not to wish me a Merry Christmas, but to tell me that my boat was gutted sometime this morning by fire.  Obviously electrical, as the evidence of flames from the electrical panel are there.  Bulkheads are charred at the top of the boat, everything's melted and of course soot covers it all.  Sort of a subdued Christmas around the house today, will have to wait until the surveyor looks at it before we'll know if she's a total loss or not.  The topsides nor the deck were damaged at all.

Stu Jackson

Fire Onboard

Steve:

So sorry to hear of your problem.  We hope that you can repair the damage soon and successfully.

You most probably have read the C34 Electrical Systems posts on this message board, and suggestions about not keeping your boat plugged in to shorepower.  Don't know if you do (or did), but we sure would welcome your contributions once you learn about what actually happened.  Perhaps you could start a new thread with a new subject title.

Again, all the best and we're glad you are all safe.

Best regards,

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."