Lifeline cleaning

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent

Try lacquer thinner on your dirty lifelines. After useing every thing suggested in the faq section of this web site, they still looked terrible. My wife was going to make me replace them all.I gave it one last try with the lacqure thinner, it worked great, and now the captin is very happy, and that makes the crew happy to.

hdevera

I have found that using a sponge with divided sponge and scouring sides and "soft scrub" cleaner works great.  It's very easy just put some soft scrub on the scouring side and slide it along the lifelines.  Rinse and it's done.  No sticky residue left on and it leaves the life lines very white.  Have not found anything easier or better yet.

Kent

Thanks Guys,
I tried the soft scrub with bleach, no luck. I have had the boat about a year now (1988 model).They may not have ever been cleaned by the first owner. The lacquer thinner worked great, bright white, and no sticky residue as with acetone.

paule

I found white all tire cleanerworks great,or AUROA boat scrub from boat US wrks great to. The main thing isI wax with teflon wax.

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Stu Jackson

We've used paint brush cleaner with a light scrub sponge, followed by Fleetwax.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

Another option is to simply strip off the old vinal covering.  Might need some oxylic acid to clean any corrosion, and then you'll be set.  Once the stainless is exposed and clean, it's pretty easy to keep it clean.  Might consider new turnbuckles and pelican hooks if your old ones are significantly corroded (the closed barrel types that Catalina uses are tough to keep clean and merit an occasional shot of anti-corrosion prevention--Boeing T-9 or equivalent).  

If you decide to replace your lines, follow Ron's advice and go up one size and use all stainless.

Best of luck.

Roc

I have found that M-1 Remover, available at Home Depot, works very well on life line covers, fenders, etc....  Also does not leave a sticky residue.  Great at cleaning the rub rail.  It's also good at cleaning stains off fiberglass.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

kent

Roc,
I tried to buy M-1 remover from my local home depot, they never heard of it. Could you give me some more details of the product?
Thanks,

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Roc

Kent,
I have two Home Depot stores near my house.  One stocks it, the other doesn't...go figure...

Here is the info I took off the can.  M-1 is made by the Jomaps Co.  Their phone number is 770-442-8808.  Maybe they can tell you were you can get it near your area.  Also, they recently went through a graphics change on the can.  
'M-1' is smaller and the words 'Tough-Job Remover' seems to be the new title.  In reading the uses, I was shocked to see, do not use on fiberglass.  I called them to ask if the formula changed, they said it didn't, just the copy on the can.  So it is still safe on fiberglass.  The old can graphics clearly stated can be used on fiberglass..

Roc-

Don

I have found that Parsons Ammonia cleaner and a "white" 3M scrub pad is easy and brings back the white to lifelines. Dampen the pad ever so slightly, you don't need it very wet, you don't want to drip it on the deck due to the ammoninia's ability to remmove wax from your deck or hull. Rub gently and wipe clean with a damp towel or cloth to remove remaining ammonia. I use the white 3M pads because they are very mild as far as abrasive quality goes, they seem to only remove the dirt and residue without causing damage to the lines themselves. I'm sure there are alternative pads, good luck I hope this works for you as well as it works for me.

dave davis

This subject, Lifeline Cleaning, sure has received lots of response in the past.I have tried so many different materials to clean and to get rid of the sticky feeling that I HAVE LOST TRACK of all the cleaning materials. Somehow I used something that I did not thoroughly rinse off and when I came down to the boat a week later, I had big ugly YELLOW STAINS along the rails and at the stanchion pads.It must have occurred by poor rinsing because the yellow stain also runs out the scuppers. Pretty dumb, Hah!!!
Now I am having a real hard time getting rid of the yellow. Any suggestions, you can't hurt my feelings.
Hope you have a nice THANKSGIVING feast, Dave :o
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Stu Jackson

Dave

Guess the only thing to do is print out this thread, buy everything everyone suggested and see if any of them work!

Good luck!

Stu

Roc

Dave, try M-1 Remover on those yellow stains  :D
It's great stuff!!
Roc-

Tweetybd

Hi, Everyone

The paintbrush cleaner that Stu referred to is made by Jabsco.  I bought a pint (about $7) at Svendsens Marine in Alameda (West Marine here doesn't carry it) and it worked so well on Tweety Bird's lifelines and fenders (with no sticky residue) that I introduced Stu to it.

Works easy; no scrubbing as with Softscrub or other abrasives.  But you have to use it generously and really wet the rag (and turn the rag surface often, since it gets clogged with all the junk that you remove). :cool: