Wing Keel Smile

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimie

We are purchasing a new to us '87 C34. The boat was hauled out on Friday 9/6/24 for the inspection, we are waiting for the report. In the meantime I thought I would check with folks here to see if they have an opinion regarding the smile on the wing keel. The photos show the seam cracks on both sides fore and aft. Does it look like something serious that needs to be addressed?

Thanks in advance.

waughoo

It does not look to be too significant in my limited experience.  I would be interested for you to check the torque on the keel bolts though.  My boat had a leading edge smile when I bought it.  After re-torquing the keel bolts it has yet to reappear.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Jaimie

Thanks Alex. Maybe the surveyor did?
I will check the bolts when I can just to be sure.

Jim Hardesty

It doesn't look serious from the pictures.  I second Alex to re-torque the keel bolts and do cosmetic repair at next bottom job.  If you live in an area that winter storage is necessary make sure that the boat is properly blocked overwinter.
Lots of luck with your new-to-you boat.  Hope you enjoy her as much as I enjoy Shamrock.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Jamie & Guys : It almost looks to me like a crack in the wing keel itself - not a "Catalina Smile" (crack is too low - in the keel itself!?!). This could be serious!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

ewengstrom

Actually Ron, that looks to be right at the joint. See attached photo of when I was test fitting my keel this past spring.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Jaimie

Follow up: We received the Survey Report today, it states that there are no cracks. When asked the Surveyor said there is no Catalina Smile. I'm confused do the photos I have posted not show a Catalina Smile?

scgunner

Jaimie,

In your first post in pics two and three that's a Catalina smile no matter what your surveyor says. It doesn't look bad at all. I'd just grind it down fair it in sand it smooth and paint it, you'll be good to go.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273