Helm gauges stopped working - Is there a fuse?

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulfsailor

Today I replaced my keyed ignition switch and tested the install while I had the instrument panel off. Everything worked (all gauges). Turned off engine (M35B) and put the panel back in place.

Restarted the engine afterwards and now I have no gauges working....

I pulled the panel back off to look for a broken or loose wire and can't find anything loose....

Any thoughts?

Is there a fuse or breaker somewhere on the MKII for the gauges?

Is there a fuse at the helm on the panel?

Engine starts fine.

Thanks in advance.

Breathing Room
1998 C34 MK II 
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

KWKloeber

What engine?  Such things are many times more  determined by the installed engine than the boat mk/yeare.

You can put the engine info in your signature, and has any harness upgrading Bern done?

Some engines/boats/panels had protection at the panel, some at the engine, some none at all. 
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

I'm guessing that Gulf has an M35BC engine?? (from his hull # and his above post)

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 25, 2024, 02:08:10 PMI'm guessing that Gulf has an M35BC engine?? (from his hull #)

A thought

Ron

If that's the case he might have shorted out a terminal replacing the panel and popped the 20a push button breaker on the engine.
The Parts Manual shows where it is (on a bracket on the engine —— quite expectedly the Westerbeke manual doesn't include a picture of what to look for.)

Doesn't his panel also have a breaker?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Gulfsailor

Quote from: KWKloeber on August 25, 2024, 02:03:49 PMWhat engine?  Such things are many times more  determined by the installed engine than the boat mk/yeare.

You can put the engine info in your signature, and has any harness upgrading Bern done?

Some engines/boats/panels had protection at the panel, some at the engine, some none at all. 

Sorry, it's an M35B.
Breathing Room
1998 C34 MK II 
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."

KWKloeber

@Breathing Room

Ok, the 35B has a 20a push-button breaker on the engine.  Your Parts Manual shows it on page 43 and it's mounted near the fuel pump — but the Owner's Manual has no picture of it.

Doesn't your engine panel have a breaker as well?

Otherwise I would pull the panel and troubleshoot with a multimeter.  There might be a shorted terminal or a crossed wire!

KWKloeber

@Breathing Room

If you look at the 35B Cut Sheet in the TechWiki Manuals https://c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Manuals, it shows the bracket for the engine and panel circuit breaker positioned above the Bell Housing, between the Air Filter and the Hx.

The Owner's Manual states it is on the LEFT side of the engine, but obviously (and not shocking when it comes to Westerbeke) look for it on the RIGHT side.

Gulfsailor

Thank you guys. I'm heading to the boat in the morning to try these steps. More to come.
Breathing Room
1998 C34 MK II 
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

Gulfsailor

On the MKII there is a small breaker on the instrument panel at the helm. It was tripped when I put the new ignition switch in (must have touched a coupe wires).

All the gauges are back to normal with the exception of the fuel gauge which I've determined is bad. Are there other sources beside CD to order one?

Thanks for everyone's help and input.

Breathing Room
1998 C34 MK II 
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

KWKloeber

Perfect   :clap  :clap  :clap

Any gauge that follows the 240-33 ohm Stewart Warner gauge convmention will work.  Even from your local auto parts.  It should be water/fogging resistant

https://defender.com/en_us/catalogsearch/result/?q=fuel%20gauge